Customer reviews

Climbing Out of Depression
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 July 2001
I have just bought my second copy of this lovely book, and I was glad to find it in hardback because my paperback copy fell apart! That's hardly surprising since it has been so, so valuable to me throughout my struggle with depression. This is the only book I have read with such a gentle approach. The author's long experience with depression is evident and while her advice for action is excellent, she also clearly understands that on some days, any action is impossible. For such awful times she discusses the concept of retreating to a safe place until you feel stronger without ever suggesting that this need to hide from the world is a weakness. She covers many other aspects of depression in a simple and approachable way that an exhausted sufferer can accept. I cannot recommend this book too highly.
73 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 23 September 2014
The author writes about depression from her own perspective. Her account is well written, and easy to read, albeit frequent pauses are required to think about the message. She has illustrated her thoughts with quotes from celebrities, for example, Lily Tomlin, Anthony Hopkins, and some religious sources (but it is not evangelical)
As an individual who has a depressive disposition, i found this book strangely reassuring that "its OK to be depressed". After all, for many of us a depressed outlook is normal, everyday reality, how things are, even though we don't want them to be that way. Her thoughts (wonderfully organised, and described) allowed me to recognise, and clarify my own experience, and, through that understanding, more easily come to terms with my own share of this Human Condition.
If Sue Atkinson ever reads this then I wish to say "thank you for writing this".
One person found this helpful
on 10 April 2003
I've suffered from bi-polar illness for over 20 years. This is the first book I've come across that is helpful, witty, in an easy to read format, doesn't talk down to you, doesn't tell you to 'snap out of it'.
The layout is ideal for a sufferer- no huge chunks of text to put you off when concentration is difficult. And yet what is written is helpful, indepth in places- not just cliches and platitudes. The text is broken up with quotations and helpful snippets that make browsing and skimming through just as rewarding as sitting down to read it front-to-back.
The cartoons of the lemming gradually climbing up the cliff were a nice, original touch. The author approaches the subject as one to be taken seriously, but at the same time inserts a little humour- usually at the expense of those who annoy us when we're depressed. Ha!
Brilliant.
Buy it if you're a sufferer. Treat youself. You'll love it.
Buy it for a friend who is a sufferer. They'll love you for it.
39 people found this helpful
on 3 July 2016
I have bought at least seven copies of this book since I came across the first edition in my library and was always out! I have given copies to my family and friends. I used it when I was ill with another long-term illness and it helped me through some very dark and isolated times. I t has also helped me through depression and any time when there are no friends but you need someone who understands you and to make simple intelligent suggestions to feel OK about yourself again. I cannot recommend this book enough for everyone.
on 20 July 2015
I recently purchased the latest version via Amazon kindle. The author writes from her experience. She knows what the depths of depression are and puts it into words. There are no trite phrases but rather an honest view from the sufferer's perspective. I guess it would be very helpful to engage with the author in workshops etc but I do not know if this is possible. I strongly recommend this book for fellow sufferers.
on 26 October 2013
I have suffered with depression since youth. I bought this book on recommendation from the British charity Depression Alliance and was not disappointed. It sensitively deals with many of the questions and issues that sufferers have and helps a person learn to live with this most difficult of illnesses. Every sufferer should read this along with Staying Sane - Raj Persaud.
on 20 February 2011
This book has been an absolute must-read, in helping me to come out of a second lengthy time of depression.
This is the second time I have read the book and it is really written in a way that shows the author fully understands the nature of depression.
I would thoroughly recommend this for anyone who suffers from this debilitating illness.
5 people found this helpful
on 15 July 2009
I found the book quite easy to read, practical and helpful to understand why depression feels like that. There is some good advice on how to stay on the path to recovery, interesting exercises which are easy to do and are likely to help. A good read on the subject.
3 people found this helpful
on 15 March 2015
Someone who has truly been there on your darkest of days and knows just what to say. A marvelous book and a life-saver. Cannot recommend it highly enough. This is not a self-help book (they are so depressing!); this is a friend holding your hand and giving you the strength to cope.
on 28 August 2016