Customer reviews

on 23 May 2012
A really good read that covers Identity very thoroughly, but without ever becoming taxing. Lawler's style is clear and incisive- she gets to the heart of the issue and highlights the crucial areas of each perspective on Identity.
The chapter on Psychoanalysis was particularly enlightening as it helped me understand the ideas of Freud and how psychology relates to sociology, despite the fact that I knew almost nothing of psychology before.
I think my favourite parts were "Masquerading as ourselves", where Lawler explores the ideas of self-impersonation and "masks", and "Stories memories, Identities" where the idea that we use memories to create our identity is examined.

This has helped me as a first year Sociology Student to achieve a good understanding of Identity, but I also believe it would be a fascinating book for anyone who is just interested by philosophy or the self in society.
on 29 May 2013
This was the core text for my Identity module during my Sociology degree. The other two reviews have said most of what needs to be said about this book. However, i will just say that if you are studying sociology or philosophy and you are interested in how identities are created then this is the place to start. It certainly has adapted my thinking and introduced me to wider concepts of understanding identity formation. This book weaves the views of theorists such as Bourdieu, Foucault and Goffman with the clear and concise opinions of Lawler.
on 14 October 2013
This is a realaly well written book, in an easy to read style, whilst capturing the relevant theory. I am a doctoral student, from an education background, but this is suitable for degree students at all levels across a variety of disciplines - psychology, education, sociology..., as well as anyone interested in identity and themes of identity. Very recommnded.
on 31 May 2014
Without a doubt, this book is a joy to read, not only because it is written in clear and articulate language,
but also because the author makes very intriguing arguments supported by compelling evidence drawn from varied disciplines.
The more I read this book, the more possibilities I have for understanding my own research in SHRM.
on 9 August 2014
Very useful as a background to sociological research
on 23 May 2016