Customer reviews

on 28 May 2008
As I've just turned forty and have no kids I can appreciate this book from a different view point.

I don't want to imagine how barren the world would be for the child who doesn't love this book.

With a spare use of the pen and some wonderful pictures it conjures up a place similar but just different enough to our world to pull you in.

In my work I can sort through a thousand books a day and this just jumped out at me and I had to read it. Full of character.

The message is dare to be different & give friendship a chance even if you're 'supposed' to eat each other.

We should drop copies of this book all over the Middle East/Africa/any where there's a damn war as soon as we can...........
on 12 November 1998
I did not buy this book for my four-year-old son -- I bought it for me. Even though young readers will enjoy the story, I believe this book was written for adults.
The story, and the accompanying hysterical illustrations, is unbelievably funny in such an understated fashion. (I particularly like the nod to Edward Hopper.)
"Sitting Ducks" has become my new favorite children's book. I plan to buy it for all the birthdays coming up in my son's preschool class (but I'm really buying it for their parents).
I can't wait for Michael Bedard's next book. I hope it's soon.
P.S. (I originally bought the book only for the illustrations.)
on 23 July 2001
The Collosal Duck factory is a nasty place. One of the Ducks escapes and is befriended by an alligator who helps all the ducks to escape from being eaten. My kids loved it, and my son Ben, who is 5, got the reading bug from this book.
This is a wonderfully funny book with brilliant illustrations. It has been a favourite of my three year old daughter for some time, and is still a pleasure for me to read aloud to her!
on 15 December 1998
This is a wonderful book that teaches how valuable friendship is no matter who you are or what you look like. The illustrations were stunning enough for me to pick this book up and buy it without even reading the story. I was then overjoyed once I got home and read it, to find what a true gem it actually was. I hope the duck and the alligator have more fun adventures that I can read and share with my children in the future.
on 9 December 2012
My children are now 17, 15 & 14 and this book was one of their favourites, we have an old ripped, battered, falling apart copy that I can't bear to part with so when I saw a good condition 2nd hand version at under £2 I couldn't resist! the story is lovely and the illustrations captivating, its probably aimed at 4 to 8 year olds but I bought a copy for my sisters 3 year old and she insists it's one of her bedtime stories every night. My sister has subsequently bought copies for all her friends with kids of the same age who also love it. This hard back version is 22cm x 17cm about half the size of our original version, the bigger version is preferable because the pictures are so wonderful.
on 24 July 2001
This book is beautifully illustrated and is very well written. It captured the imagination of my 4 year old who simply loves it to bits.
on 19 May 2016
Loved this as a child and was thrilled to find it for my daughter
on 16 July 1999
My 4 year old daughter loved the bold,bright illustrations and the unlikely story of how an alligator and a duck became friends. I thought that the expressions on the animals' faces were exactly right, and I also liked the sly homage to Edward Hopper's night cafe painting.
on 14 December 2015
incomplete order not rectified on request.