Customer reviews

on 27 October 2009
"The Blurred Man" is about the Diamond Brothers' investigation into the death of the founder of a children's charity on behalf of their client, who has given millions to the charity. The benefactor is suspicious because the founder died just before they were due to meet for the first time and the charity is closing down. He suspects possible murder and fraud. Philanthropic people do sometimes hand over large amounts of money without ensuring that their donations are going where they are supposed to be going, and there are many people who are happy to defraud such naive and generous people, so the basis for this particular adventure is not unrealistic.

We get the usual unattractive villains, who make a very odd couple. Nick is on good form: the charity made children's wishes come true, and when the client says that Nick must have made wishes sometimes, he says "Yes. But unfortunately Tim is still here". And Nick wonders to himself whether the client would donate to his own little charity "Bankrupt Brothers of Dumb Detectives". Tim's tactless remarks in the scene where the brothers visit a witness in an institution are very funny too. There is an over the top scene in which the brothers are pursued by circus performers. Perceptive readers may pick up some clues to the solution of the crimes, others will be surprised by the revelations when the case is closed as a result of Nick's deductions.

This story contains some good descriptions of various London attractions and districts. I really like such authentic small details: I know from experience that many compartments on the London Eye are indeed empty when the day is wet and cloudy.

As I have worked for many charities and have experience of the damage that the fraudulent ones can do, "The Blurred Man" was rather painful to read, but this was balanced by the humour. I have read two Diamond Brothers stories so far, and want to read the others.
on 7 May 2017
This is my 8yr olds book review on The Blurred Man by Anthony Horowitz. It’s about:
Lenny Smile, owner of the charity Dream Time, and the kindest billionaire you will meet, is going to meet up with a man called Joe Carter. But they can’t meet because a few days before they were going to meet, Lenny was run over by a steamroller. The witnesses were Rodney Hoover, Fiona Lee, the lady who lives next to Lenny, and Boris the balloon seller. A few days before the accident Lenny sent Joe a picture of himself. But it was blurry. Joe sends the Diamond Brothers, 2 detectives, on a mystery because he thinks something is odd. But when the Brothers go investigating they see Lenny Smile in the cemetery and the circus. Is Lenny alive? But people saw him get squashed flat! That is a mystery. Hint: He is not a ghost.
I think that this is a very good book and I am very excited to read the other Diamond Brothers books. This book is rated age 5+ but I think 8+ because of a couple of graphic details. The book had me gripped from the start.
on 18 October 2006
Horowitz has always been my favourite writer and this twisting crime adventure further emphasises his brilliant writing.

The Diamond Brothers return in another humorous and equally serious plot involving murder, money, nationality and jobs in a wildly captivating tale.

The way Horowitz captures humorous storylines into an engaging crime tale is beyond me, when the stakes are high the story appears to be funnier.

This is perhaps the best Diamond Brothers story I've read.

It's consistent, engaging and not too confusing which will keep the targeted younger audiences interested.

The plot is very interesting and typical of Horowitz's crime genre style. He captures all the typical conventions brilliantly and the added use of spoken and physical humour adds a great diversity to the story.

It's a fast moving story with intriguing characters, a fast gripping plot and excitement from the beginning. Clues are dropped and therefore engages the audience to try and work the mystery out for themselves which enforces the excitement.

Perhaps lacks at points and questions of realism will be put forth but however it's a short story and is a definite read for anyone who enjoys crime mixed with humorous elements.

8/10
on 21 August 2009
Bought this book as one of a series following a request from my 10 year old granddaughter. Read this aloud to her during our recent holiday. We both thoroughly enjoyed the story and the subtle humour contained within it. A good fun read.
on 18 April 2014
The Blurred Man is a great read. I would recommend this book to anyone! Anthony Horowitz is one of my favourite writers and his books are fantastic.
on 21 February 2013
Our son just loves this set of books (age 9 1/2) - though I can't remember which one his favourite is.
The set a great start to heavier crime writing - He's now moved on to "Stormbreaker" by Anthony Horowitz and it's delightful watching him so engrossed. He has made me read one or two of them to be able to share his excitement.
They are very well written and see very age appropriate for him.
Highly recommend,
on 12 April 2014
I really liked this book because it was full of mystery and excitement and it was very funny at the same time.
on 22 November 2014
I'd recommend this book to anybody with a sense of fun and humour so just read it and goodwill enjoy it
on 4 May 2016
This book was amazing and it was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat. Unlike other books it didn't repeat itself in the sequel like for example: mystery look for the crime find it hoorah! Anthony Horowitz has done this: start middle twist!!!!!!
I would give this book a 5/5 full marks ***** stars. He is a great author and I love his books.
on 17 November 2013
The whole family enjoy these Anthony Horowitz stories, and our youngest son enjoys the younger brother's superior sleuthing. Good crime stories peppered with clues, that are funny with some laugh out loud moments. The Blurred man was an enjoyable bedtime read that kept both our 7 and 9 year old tuned in attentively.