on 3 June 2004
I was looking through the shelves of the local bookstore for something for my almost-6-year-old son. There are loads of books with titles like "Funny Stories for 6 Year Olds" which just aren't funny - it's like they are trying far too hard to appeal to a specific target market and the stories are dull and lacking imagination.
Fortunately, I found this wonderful book instead. Alan Ahlberg is a favourite from my own childhood and it's great to see that he's still turning out great books for children - in fact, he seems to be at the peak of his form as an author. I just wish he'd written this one when I was 6!
It's quirky but not self-consciously so, and pitched at just the right level for a 6-yr-old's reading abilities without being patronising or "talking down" to the reader. And it is very, very funny - it has had my son in stitches.
The pictures are great too. It was sad when Janet Ahlberg died a few years ago and her distinctive style of illustration is much missed, but fortunately Katherine McEwen has her own equally delightful style and adds another level of humour to the story.
Never mind "Funny Stories for 6 Year Olds" - if you want to encourage your children to read, introduce them to Alan Ahlberg. You won't be able to prise the book out of their hands!
on 9 July 2016
One of a series of 4 books about 'The Gaskitts', this is a great book for newly confident readers who are looking to move on to chapter books. All the books in this series have short chapters, lots of engaging pictures and humorous stories so ideal for keeping the interest of budding readers. My children aged 5 and 7 happily read this book over and over again laughing like drains at the scrapes that take place before a satisfactory ending.
on 23 April 2003
I have just read this with my 6 yr old and we both loved the book. The plot is quite simple but brilliantly written and perfect to share with new readers as the language is not too advanced. My son was thrilled to share this book and loved being involved in the humour, although, as it appeals at all levels I had to explain why I was laughing so much at some of the text.There are lots of speaking inanimate objects ( the car radio being our favourite!)which are very clever . In short a classic - every home should have one.
on 24 October 2006
I am nine but I have problems with reading so I think this book is good for me because the words weren't so hard .yet the story was very funny and interesting so it wasn't boring unlike other books I can read . I like the bit where Mr Gaskitt sits on the robber while eating pizza.I think you should read it and enjoy it.
on 8 June 2002
This is the first introduction to the Gaskitt family, Mr, Mrs, Gus, Gloria & Horace the cat. The story is fast paced but young readers will find it easy to follow. The illustartions add to the humour of this great read. Both my daughter and I enjoy this book and are looking forward to reading the next installment, The Woman Who Won Things.
on 25 October 2014
Nice one to add to a growing home library. You won't go wrong with allan ahlberg
on 12 September 2016
Really enjoyed reading this to the boys when they were young. Won't disappoint.
on 30 July 2017
My 6 year old and I Really enjoyed this book. He's asked for it several times.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2007
This is without doubt a great book. It is funny without being "try hard", it has simple language suitable for the age group it is aiming at. This is a book that a child will read for pleasure not because they have to for homework or because they were told to.

A great book, I would recommend putting it in the car so it can be looked at during longer journeys (as long as reading in the car doesn't make your child car sick of course!).
on 16 November 2009
After reading the reviews I expected a lot more from this book.
Although it kept my sons attention throughout, at no point did he laugh or make any comment about it being funny.
It was by no means the worst book we've read together, but he certainly was indifferent about it.

SPOILER ALERT!
Also if you don't want awkward questions from your child about why someone (ie Mr Gaskill) has a job which involves dressing up as Santa Clause and sitting kids on his knee, I would avoid this book.

"Is he the real Santa Clause, Dad?"
"Er... no."
"Why is he pretending to be Santa then?"
"Well... erm... night-night son."