on 19 August 2017
It was good1111111111 it was pretty cool but I need to write more words to finish this review boo boo
on 3 April 2016
BRILLIANT. I can't believe it has taken me so long to discover the fantastically engaging writing of Anthony Horowitz. This book is so funny. The story is fast paced and I think will engage a wide reading audience from reluctant to very competent and an age range from children aged about 8 years right the way up to adults who are still lucky enough to be able to see ! Not ony is this a funny story, it has a point to it with just the right amount of moral message to make you think without being too preaching. A really great read. It's been a long time since I have read a children's book that has excited me like I know it will the children I recommend it too.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2016
I’m a reader of Walliams’ books usually, and this seemed very much in that genre, though I would hasten to add much darker in style than any David Walliams books I have read so far. There is an awful lot of humour too in a similar vain to Walliams’ style, but unlike when you’re reading Walliams, somehow here, the darker bits make you laugh much less at the funny bits somehow. I was rather disappointed by the ending; not quite sure why that was, but it seemed just a little rushed and culminated a little too quickly for me, but this has to be a five stars, as it was definitely a page-turner and from the start I just couldn’t put it down!

This was my first read from Mr. Horowitz (who incidentally I think a VERY handsome man!) but no doubt will certainly not be my last!

Great read – but why is everyone likened to Roald Dahl!?? I’m confused... They constantly say this about Walliams, and lo and behold, they make a similar reference on the cover of this book too...?
on 31 March 2017
Prompt service but not sure I'd give this to my grand children.
Guaranteed to have most children shrieking with laughter, especially if they are fans of Roald Dahl.

No subtleties here. Unashamedly OTT, Anthony Horowitz creates here a granny to make the blood curdle - eating habits reminiscent of a cement mixer; perfume like rotting sheep; so adept at stealing, a metal detector has to be installed. These are just the nicer aspects, the rest decidedly unpleasant - as with her dastardly plans for grandson Jordan....

Fun. Readers will delight that their own grandmothers do not cause dogs to howl and the sun to go in.

One revelation saddens. Anthony Horowitz's grandmother had been monstrous, her long life devoted to creating unhappiness. Memories still jab. By amusing others so greatly, the book is an attempt to make those recollections less painful. I do hope he succeeded.
on 17 July 2008
Got a zany sense of humour? Yeah? You'll love this book. Doesn't matter what age you are, this book is hilarious. It has a writing style that teenagers and below could keep up with. But don't fret adults! Any adult who can appreciate the wacky genius in some good off the wall humour will enjoy this litlle gem.

It's both dark and daft. It's Cable Guy meeting Scary movie. Granny is a harebrained old woman, sinister in her motives. She's on the prowl, terrorising young Joe. Can he uncover her unscrupulous agenda? Or will her constant provoking finish him off?

The imagination in this book is just stupendous. The author creates a surreal plot which is so barmy it will make you laugh and resonate with those cringy nerves that need a good old rattle every now and again.
on 22 April 2013
This book was a rib tickling emotional rollercoaster ride. We particularly liked the part where Granny pretended to be someone else which had huge consequences for some of the families in the story.

We would recommend this book to anyone over 8 who enjoys a story with a bit of humour and suspense as well.
on 27 December 2012
I love this book because it's hilarious heart breaking and adventurous the best I got to admit I gave it a five star and it really deserts it because deserves to be a million pounds but thanks to kindles its cheap.
on 22 December 2015
This is my favourite Anthony Horowitz story - and that of my children and my mum - so it truly spans the generations. It is written with great wit and keeps the attention of the reader regardless of age! i would thoroughly recommend. There;s a good plot and excellent characters.
on 2 September 2016
granny. Joe warden hates his Granny
When Joes parents go away for some time, he is left with, Granny.
He dsiscovers more evilness aabout his granny.This is when you laugh 24/7.
crocodile eyes...
...
on a mission to...
Joe has the nightmares of his life about Granny, and fears his life...

you got to read this book, it can't be any better than it is. Through scary bits (also laugh out loud) and pure humour, this diserves a book trophy!
Anhony Horowitz has done it again! Hijs magical writting mkes you crack up! It is amazing and Anhony Horowitz deserves a special medal forr humour...

great easy read for ten year olds...

READ GRANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!