Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 January 2013
So basically the book is about a Dad and 3 kids going for a walk, looking for bears, the have to overcome obstacles along the way e.g. mud, river, long grass etc. and eventually they do bump into a bear and run all the way home to hide from the bear in their house, when it turns out, the bear just wants to be friends.
It's very repetitive on each page, which is good, it's what kids like, they can learn it and read it along with you at the same time. And like i've said bellow, i'm 17 and I still remember it today...

I remember I used to have this book read to me when I was a little girl... I know the book off by heart still today... and I 17! So i thought it would be good to give to my little brother (2 years) so he gets to learn it as well!
He loves it, has it read to him all the time and sometimes will just look through it on his own looking at the pictures.
It's great that it's cardboard, means he can;t wreck it too easily (which is always a bonus with a toddler ;) )

It was smaller than I thought it would be, but actually it makes it easier for him to hold, so it worked out for the best :)
I love it, he loves and my dad loves.... It;s great for all ages!

Enjoy!
on 10 May 2000
I am a teacher of children with severe learning difficulties and I have been featuring this book in our literacy hour all through the last term. We have developed props to enhance the sounds and visual effects; such as a dish of water for the 'Splish Splosh', wellies in a tray of wet sand for the 'Squelch Squerch' and a model of a cave, complete with wet nose, furry ears and 'Two Googly Eyes' for the meeting with the bear. The children's reactions have been brilliant. Those with limited or no speech have been repeating some of the words (even at home). All have responded and joined in well (particularly those with challenging behaviours) and all of the children love the repetitive nature of the words and the exciting ending. An obsolutely brilliant book and hard to replace for this term's featured story.
on 25 October 2006
Children love repetition and the chorus of this poem (see the title of this review) has the necessary repetition without being head-bangingly tedious for the adult reader. The rhythm of the poem/story is wonderful and we find ourselves chanting it on family walks. When our little boy was only 2 years old he could join in with us.

For each verse a new weather condition or practical obstacle (such as mud, a perenial little boy's favourite) is encountered. This provides the opportunity for lots of onomatopoeic "squelch, squerch", "swishy swashy", "hoo woo" and the like chants. Another winner with the children.

Finally after a long hunt the bear is found and everyone runs home to safety. This echoes the sort of I'm-coming-to-get-you, run-away game that parents and children have always played and enjoyed. Marvellous.

One word of advice - be mindful whether you're ordering a paperback, hardback or board book. When I first started buying for very small children on Amazon (wanting the more robust board books) I confused the last two formats resulting in some irritating returns and exchanges.
'We're Going on a Bear Hunt' has been one of the favourite stories for children at the nursery where I work for years. It is a beautiful and well-constructed story, with nice use of repetitive language patterns that children can join in with or re-enact.

I was a little concerned by the idea of a DVD version: I didn't want to see one of the children's favourite stories ruined by over-production.

I needn't have worried. The DVD is beautifully-produced. It doesn't detract from the story in any way: the animation is simply an animated version of the illustrations from the book and the narration (by Kevin Whately and Emelia Fox) is just right. The added music track isn't intrusive, and it's used to partially set the words from the book to music. It's hard to remember now that the story didn't always seem to have this tune.

Presenting book and DVD together is a lovely idea.
on 29 April 2006
I ordered this unseen in response to rave reviews on Amazon. At first sight I thought it was a shame that every other illustration was a black and white line drawing - 'the kids'll never go for it', I thought. But they don't mind a bit! They love chanting along with the words that repeat throughout the book, and they love making all the sounds. It's become a real favourite for both my 4 and my 2 year old.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2015
Story line -
The story is about going on a bear hunt which turns out to be a real adventure. The family make their way through grass, a river, mud, a forest, a snowstorm, a cave and see the bear. The story then goes back over itself and reminds the children of where they had just walked as they run back away form the bear. DVD can aid learning and help the children understand the story.

Early Years Teachers - This book proved to be an invaluable resource on my teaching placements. As with this well respected and loved children's author, Michael Rosen, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible themes in the story which can be explored to a suitable depth dependent on the children's ages.

Themes include: positions, nature, weather/ our world, adventures and feelings.

Activity ideas: children could read along as it contains a lot of repetition and rhymes throughout; discuss and learn about feelings, in particular changing feelings throughout; rein-act a bear hunt or adventure - what would you need to take? who would you go with?; learn about weather changes; discuss habitats of animals; play positional language game of positioning a bear e.g. under a chair; children could go on their own hunt to find for example a worm; draw a storyboard including the grass, woods, river etc; and finally, the "we're not scared" quote can lead onto a discussion about fears and how to overcome them.

The DVD is a great added extra and can be used to entice the children into the story.

Would recommend to any early years teacher or parent.
on 14 May 2007
This is my children's favourite book. My daughter (now 4) was given it for her 1st birthday and has loved it from about 18 months. My son, now 2.5, has been read it since birth and they both adore it. Because it's so fantastically repetitive and poetic both of them can recite the whole thing without needing the book so we often recite it whilst going for walks. We even play "bear hunt" round the house. I think it's a fantastic introduction to beautiful poetic language as well as being a fun story. I have heard people say their kids found it frightening but neither of my children ever have - and my daughter is frightened of most things!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 January 2016
This is a well loved children's story from poet and author Michael Rosen. Three children and their Dad go off on a hunt for bears. They go through mud, climb mountains, wade through grass and splash through the river. When at last they find the bear they go racing back home.
I like this story for children. The same words are repeated in each section of the story which young children enjoy very much and like to join in with making the story familiar and fun. This is also a lovely story to act out with a group of children as you squelch through the mud and push aside the waving grass before racing quickly back through it and home again.
The illustrations in this book are of a slightly more old fashioned watercoloured style which I liked very much. Much as younger children love bright primary colours sometimes it is good for them to see a different style.
A lovely story which I have read to and acted out with various children over the years.
on 10 May 2016
My toddler loves this book. It's a perfect for his little fingers board version. He loves the rhyming, repetitiveness and flow of the story, sound words and illustration really draw his attention. We've been reading it now for over 6 months and still no signs of boredom. It's a must in every child's book collection.
on 21 May 2016
I love this book because my son LOVES it, but at the same time it drives me mad as I have to read it so much. We've had to buy 2 copies, 1 paper and when this ripped we bought the board book. My son can be having the worst tantrum and I'll pick the book up to read and it stops him in his tracks.
I suspect he could listen to it all day.