Customer reviews

on 1 September 2017
As described
on 19 September 2012
I bought this guide thinking that it is only for Gods and Kings, however it is almost identical to the original Civ 5 guide with the addition of G&K expansion. Coverage is good, however I felt paper quality was better on original one. Original guide is 240 pages and this one is 352 pages. Not much detail on new concepts such as Espionage (only 2 pages) Religion (8 pages). New Civilizations are given as a new section under DLC and G&K. Generally some good tips, however could have been organized better to make comparisons between civilizations.
on 19 February 2013
Civilization as well as with the Gods & Kings expansion is a huge game which is easy to play badly and then say it always plays the same-well it does not it is us that play it the same way.I have read several strategy guides over the years as I try to get out of the game what has been put in it.Some guides are good some are poor but Civilization Gods & Kings is as good as any I have read.It also covers the original game so only the one guide is required.It gives you the lowdown on each of the 30+ civilizations,strategies for each plus their unique units and abilities.Info on every type of unit in the game as well as every Building and Wonder.It is written in a way which makes you see the difference between the different Civilizations and makes you want to try each one out to explore the different methods of trying to win.Different methods suit different nations and it would be difficult to win each type of victory with each nation unless you are playing at the lowest level.The illistrations are good and the whole book at over 300 pages is a must have if you really want your Civilization to stand the test of time
on 13 January 2013
I love civilization 5. I bought this book to get me a even better understanding of new expansion gods and kings and the full game in general. It didn't disappoint one bit. it gave me many tips to use during play and helped me understand the game mechanics better. i don't read books but i do play alot of games, civ5 being one of my favourites. I read this book from cover to cover, its that good a read. AA++
on 20 October 2012
I dont think this book is essential for playing Civ V or Civ V with Gods & Kings but it certainly helps. Yes you could probably print all this out from the net etc but how long would that take? I took a chance and got this anyway and I think its very good. About as good as I could have hoped for to be honest.

This should have come with the Gods & Kings expansion really but I suppose the expansion is pretty cheap.

Id say if you like Civ V and Gods & Kings a lot you should give it a go. If you know someone whos got Civ V they will probably like this as a present too - I know I would!

Update - With the new Gods & Kings patch, Civ V (with Gods & Kings) has really become the game that it should have been to start with. I can honestly say that now this game is really playable and too damn addictive! Its taken a while (but then, so did Civ 4 and its expansions) but now its definitely worth buying if you havent already!
on 1 December 2012
Essential for the updates this expansion makes to the basic game, this guide is essential to play the game properly. Detailed and illustrated, it's a teat to read as well. Almost a book in itself.
on 16 November 2012
I found this guide very interesting, and informative, without it actually holding my hand (figuratively) through the game. It gave the information clearly and concisely, without excessive padding.

Well worth a look.
on 24 October 2013
Helps to understand the Civs and to plan your stratagy. full of useful tips and has helped my game play
on 20 July 2012
The description of the book gave me the impression that only the Gods & Kings expansion was covered, so I made the mistake of ordering also the Civilization V Strategy Guide. When I received both books the first thing I read on the back cover of this book was "Covers Civilization V Game Of The Year Edition, all Civilization V DLC, and the Gods & Kings Expansion".

This will be my third attempt to become a serious Civ-player. I've read the first chapters of the book and believe the book will complement the manual and Civilopedia in a way that'll finally let me take the beginners-threshold.