Customer reviews

on 10 August 2017
I've always liked the stories of Voyager after they've reached home! It's a pity an extra tv series wasn't done to help 'wrap things up!'
on 19 August 2017
Amazing author and the characters are dead on. Looking forward to reading the rest!
on 8 May 2013
Fantastic read, good plot and all the characters got well deserved promotions finally Harry Kim is a lieutenant woo hoo
on 4 July 2003
And I thought the first one was good! This book must be read by everyone who claims to be a Star Trek fan! THe borg storyline gets better and better throughtout the book, it actually surprised me. Not something a lot of books do. Even the Torres' B-story kept me interested after boring me in Homecoming. If you've read the first half, this one is just so much better and must be bought.
on 13 January 2004
Starts where the Homecoming leaves off.Another fantastic story from Christie Golden. I'm not really a book person, but I never put either one of these titles down until it was finished.Having watched the series,and having the complete video set, the faces of the charactors were vivid in my mind, as the story unfolded. A very good book and a must for Voyager Fans.
on 28 July 2003
Reading this novel is like slippping on a nice pair of clean comfy socks. It gives you that warm tender feeling that i and many others have when we watch the best Star Trek franchise on TV.
The premise is about how the Voyager crew reintegrate themselves into normal Federation life. Add a mix of the Borg and a paranoia that is more like the present US administration than Star Fleet and this all wraps up to be quite an interesting novel but i fear that anyone who does not really like Star Trek will not really get this.
IF you are a Voyager fan this is highly recommended.
on 16 February 2005
As someone who acutely misses the action, intelligence and style of the 'Star Trek Voyager' TV series (and of course, as someone who has read 'Homecoming') this is a must-read! Not only is it well written with humour, tension and sparkle by Christie Golden, but it also captures the essence of the Voyager crew without exception. The unique and engrossing storyline is certainly compelling, but the book's main strength lies in its effortless prose that keep the reader turning the pages. And not least of all...it's wonderful to get a continuation from the 'Endgame' finale!
I found only two problems with 'The Farther Shore'- firstly, the various new characters are given too much limelight. Those whose relevance and place in the story I could recall, I just didn't care enough about and the rest faded from my memory too easily. Secondly- without the excitement of the crew's return to Earth and all that entails extending into this second installment from the first, I didn't feel the plot compensated as much as it should have for that absence. But in conclusion- an excellent read and very reminiscent of those good old days. And it also has an ending that neatly wraps up all loose ends satisfactorily and leaves wide open the possibility for more 'Star Trek Voyager' books to come...
on 22 December 2008
I wasn't as keen on this as I was with part I for a couple of reasons.

There were a couple of jarring continuity glitches in the book (notably a scene in which Data is sent out on his own to rendezvous with Janeway, then in the next paragraph, Dr Kaz is with him, despite saying he is staying in sickbay), and also the illness sweeping the planet seems to change from Xakarian to Xanarian flu.

My main complaint of the first book was that the main cast didn't really seem to have much to do, by and large, and I think this book does the same. Secondary characters are more responsible for driving the plot.

The holographic strike story in this book didn't particularly interest me this time round and, in fact, became a bit of a distraction from the Borg and Torres plots.

The book makes a reference to Deus Ex Machina at one point, and unfortunately, I can't help feeling it played at least a small part in wrapping up the book - which I thought was very abruptly done. The whole 500 pages are summed up in literally the last two pages after the Almighty Borg Nanoprobes save the day again.

Characterisations still seemed a little off to me, particularly Seven's, and once again the majority of the Voyager crew is absent, with no real explanation of how they're adjusting to life on Earth, which I would've really liked to see.

While this book also has some good action scenes and excellent pace like its predecessor, it didn't feel as well-rounded an adventure as the first book. And I would've much preferred a character driven/emotional story for Voyager's return than a last triumphant phaser fight with the senior officers fighting side by side one last time. Hopefully the Spirit Walk books will explore these issues for me.
on 28 October 2012
I think the tone of this second part shifted quite a bit - and it wasn't as good as the first part.

I liked how the first book had a post-Voyager and post-DS9 feel, and the book wove many stories about the return of the Voyager crew.

However this second part became more about the story than the characters. Many characters are pushed aside in fact, and barely heard from.

I have misgivings about the overall theme. The premise is about a woman abused as a child who wants to assimilate all mankind. But I think the desire to assimilate mankind is far-fetched, so to do this the child abuse element is brought in. However - child abuse is not a topic that's covered in Star Trek. Maybe I should applaud Golden for pushing the envelope - but it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel "Star Trek", so I have a problem with that.

Data's use is annoying. Considering I used to like TNG I found him grating in his scenes... but also all this time with a TNG character is one that could have been spent with Voyager characters.

Libby I never find compelling. She's very ditzy in Voyager itself, and while if the actress would have aged some years and could be portrayed differently if this was a TV show, as a book she reads just as she was in the second season. And I can't take her seriously.

Characters that are brought up in secret - i.e. a shadowy interrogator - are never resolved.

All in all, it just didn't fit with what I think of as 'Star Trek', and it's not as compelling as the first part which is a shame.
on 24 November 2004
What is it with Star Trek two-part stories? The television series always had problems with conclusions, and now the book series is following suit. Unlike the television series, though, the book series is just taking flaws in the first book and expanding on them in the conclusion, making the final installment a step down from the first. Such again is the case with Voyager's relaunch novel, The Farther Shore. After writing my review for Homecoming, I read some other reviews that mentioned that Christie Golden's writing had way too many romance novel tropes. While I don't necessarily agree with that for Homecoming (or at least I don't agree that they were prominent), it is true in spades with A Farther Shore. The writing is trite and evokes too many "bodice-ripper" images for my taste. If this is the way the relaunch is going to continue (and it evidently is completely Golden's ball, handed to her by the editors), then I hope she learns to rein them in.
There are a lot of problems with this book, so I'll start with the good stuff. Golden continues to write the regulars well, as far as characterization goes. She's obviously a fan of the Janeway/Chakotay relationship, though she avoids them falling into bed together, instead giving them a "very close friends who could almost have been lovers" feel. Hopefully, she'll keep it that way in subsequent books. The friendship between them is very well done. Seven is still a little too emotional, but she otherwise is also written well. Torres, off on her own quest for her mother, is finally coming to terms with her dual-heritage, and the scenes between Torres and her mother are very interesting. In fact, the sequences on Boreth with Torres are the best part of the book. Too bad that they didn't have anything to do with the main plot. Also, the Borg plot is interesting in its own way, though I truly hope this is the last gasp of the Borg. Thankfully, the problem ends up being a lot less predictable than "they brought the virus with them," which is nice.
Unfortunately, while the regular characters are done pretty well, the others are not. The main villain of the piece, once revealed, is *way* overdone, sounding shrill at times. The Starfleet admirals that Janeway and others have to deal with also seem way too strident in their feelings toward the Voyager crew. Also, the final resolution, as hard as it is to get there, ends up being way too simple when it finally occurs. It's almost an afterthought, which is not a good thing. The leader of the holographic rebellion is written way over the top, especially when we get the scenes in his fantasy world. I found myself shaking my head way too many times in this book. I also have to wonder at the abrupt end to the holographic rights plot. Perhaps this is going to be picked up in future books?
Which leads me to the main problem with A Farther Shore: the writing. I can live with descriptions of men and women as "muscular" and "beautiful" without thinking a lot about it. I think that's what many reviewers had a problem with in Homecoming. But A Farther Shore takes it one step further, especially with characters we care nothing about. There is a sequence where many Starfleet personnel, as well as other workers, are replaced by holograms, and the real people are placed in some holographic world where they are slaves to the holograms. This is supposedly to teach them what it's like to be oppressed. These scenes involve characters we aren't familiar with at all, and the limited scenes they have in the book before this happens just didn't make me care about them. What's even worse, though, is the way the sequence is written. It seriously is like a romance novel come to life. Lieutenant Andropov is described as being extremely muscular, and the woman who he takes under his wing is quite beautiful. He's old enough to be her father, and thankfully we are spared any romantic entanglements, but we still get prose that's ripped from the bodice of those novels. It made me cringe every time Golden went back there.
Finally, there is one major internal continuity gaffe that is so bad only because the scenes happen one right after the other. In the first scene, the Trill doctor suggests that Data go off for the rendezvous with the other Voyager crewmembers by himself while he continues to work with the holographic Doctor in sickbay. The very next scene, however, is the rendezvous, and the Trill is right there. He speaks quite a lot, and it's obvious not a communication from sickbay. He is right there. Surely this should have been caught in editing even if Golden was writing the scenes out of order and forgot this?
A Farther Shore has an interesting premise with some good characterization (but some horrible characterization too), but the writing just fails it. Romance-lite, overbearing and overdrawn, this book just seems such a let-down after Homecoming. Problems that were below the radar rear their ugly head, and don't bode well for the series. I hope Golden can do better than this.
David Roy