Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop now

on 28 July 2003
Reading this novel is like slippping on a nice pair of clean comfy socks. It gives you that warm tender feeling that i and many others have when we watch the best Star Trek franchise on TV.
The premise is about how the Voyager crew reintegrate themselves into normal Federation life. Add a mix of the Borg and a paranoia that is more like the present US administration than Star Fleet and this all wraps up to be quite an interesting novel but i fear that anyone who does not really like Star Trek will not really get this.
IF you are a Voyager fan this is highly recommended.
on 4 July 2003
And I thought the first one was good! This book must be read by everyone who claims to be a Star Trek fan! THe borg storyline gets better and better throughtout the book, it actually surprised me. Not something a lot of books do. Even the Torres' B-story kept me interested after boring me in Homecoming. If you've read the first half, this one is just so much better and must be bought.
on 13 January 2004
Starts where the Homecoming leaves off.Another fantastic story from Christie Golden. I'm not really a book person, but I never put either one of these titles down until it was finished.Having watched the series,and having the complete video set, the faces of the charactors were vivid in my mind, as the story unfolded. A very good book and a must for Voyager Fans.
on 24 November 2004
What is it with Star Trek two-part stories? The television series always had problems with conclusions, and now the book series is following suit. Unlike the television series, though, the book series is just taking flaws in the first book and expanding on them in the conclusion, making the final installment a step down from the first. Such again is the case with Voyager's relaunch novel, The Farther Shore. After writing my review for Homecoming, I read some other reviews that mentioned that Christie Golden's writing had way too many romance novel tropes. While I don't necessarily agree with that for Homecoming (or at least I don't agree that they were prominent), it is true in spades with A Farther Shore. The writing is trite and evokes too many "bodice-ripper" images for my taste. If this is the way the relaunch is going to continue (and it evidently is completely Golden's ball, handed to her by the editors), then I hope she learns to rein them in.
There are a lot of problems with this book, so I'll start with the good stuff. Golden continues to write the regulars well, as far as characterization goes. She's obviously a fan of the Janeway/Chakotay relationship, though she avoids them falling into bed together, instead giving them a "very close friends who could almost have been lovers" feel. Hopefully, she'll keep it that way in subsequent books. The friendship between them is very well done. Seven is still a little too emotional, but she otherwise is also written well. Torres, off on her own quest for her mother, is finally coming to terms with her dual-heritage, and the scenes between Torres and her mother are very interesting. In fact, the sequences on Boreth with Torres are the best part of the book. Too bad that they didn't have anything to do with the main plot. Also, the Borg plot is interesting in its own way, though I truly hope this is the last gasp of the Borg. Thankfully, the problem ends up being a lot less predictable than "they brought the virus with them," which is nice.
Unfortunately, while the regular characters are done pretty well, the others are not. The main villain of the piece, once revealed, is *way* overdone, sounding shrill at times. The Starfleet admirals that Janeway and others have to deal with also seem way too strident in their feelings toward the Voyager crew. Also, the final resolution, as hard as it is to get there, ends up being way too simple when it finally occurs. It's almost an afterthought, which is not a good thing. The leader of the holographic rebellion is written way over the top, especially when we get the scenes in his fantasy world. I found myself shaking my head way too many times in this book. I also have to wonder at the abrupt end to the holographic rights plot. Perhaps this is going to be picked up in future books?
Which leads me to the main problem with A Farther Shore: the writing. I can live with descriptions of men and women as "muscular" and "beautiful" without thinking a lot about it. I think that's what many reviewers had a problem with in Homecoming. But A Farther Shore takes it one step further, especially with characters we care nothing about. There is a sequence where many Starfleet personnel, as well as other workers, are replaced by holograms, and the real people are placed in some holographic world where they are slaves to the holograms. This is supposedly to teach them what it's like to be oppressed. These scenes involve characters we aren't familiar with at all, and the limited scenes they have in the book before this happens just didn't make me care about them. What's even worse, though, is the way the sequence is written. It seriously is like a romance novel come to life. Lieutenant Andropov is described as being extremely muscular, and the woman who he takes under his wing is quite beautiful. He's old enough to be her father, and thankfully we are spared any romantic entanglements, but we still get prose that's ripped from the bodice of those novels. It made me cringe every time Golden went back there.
Finally, there is one major internal continuity gaffe that is so bad only because the scenes happen one right after the other. In the first scene, the Trill doctor suggests that Data go off for the rendezvous with the other Voyager crewmembers by himself while he continues to work with the holographic Doctor in sickbay. The very next scene, however, is the rendezvous, and the Trill is right there. He speaks quite a lot, and it's obvious not a communication from sickbay. He is right there. Surely this should have been caught in editing even if Golden was writing the scenes out of order and forgot this?
A Farther Shore has an interesting premise with some good characterization (but some horrible characterization too), but the writing just fails it. Romance-lite, overbearing and overdrawn, this book just seems such a let-down after Homecoming. Problems that were below the radar rear their ugly head, and don't bode well for the series. I hope Golden can do better than this.
David Roy
on 11 August 2015
Star Trek Farther shore is of course another of this writer's superb books. Written again in the Star Trek tradition with different levels of life set after the return of Voyager to Earth. There are many plots to keep the reader in total suspence, right to the end. There is always one thing certain from this writer and it's consistancy regarding the ideology of Star Trek. I can't praise her enough for carrying on where the tv series finished and more. Christie Golden for me ranks amongst the best writer of Voyager novels.
on 16 September 2013
Had to buy this having read the story 'Homecoming' - that turned out to be the first part of a two part story, which wasn't made clear. The story is ok, not great, but the second part of the saga that sees Voyager back on Earth and the crew settling back into normal life. Their arrival coincides with an outbreak of a strange Borg like virus, which begins to assimilate their friends and loved ones, so its down to Voyagers crew to save humanity. I loved the series and the other Voyager books I've read, but this is a bit of a disappointment and you really have to buy both books, neither stand alone successfully.
on 24 October 2012
Great story as was Homecoming but I have to say that there were spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors on the iPad Kindle App (not sure if just App glitches) but it gets a bit annoying at times and that is why it does not get the full 5 star rating.

It continues the story on brilliantly and I found it hard to put it down reading it in less than two evenings :)

Great read so if you like Voyager and Star Trek it is essential in my book :)
on 3 January 2013
Although 7 of 9 is on the cover I wanted more images of her? As I flicked through and during this book it did not give me the relief i was expecting :( On a more serious note in Chapter 17 Chakotay's ring ws gold in fact he had a silver ring in the following episode's S1/Ep3 S1/Ep9............
on 4 December 2015
I assume as you read this you have probably read the first book and discovered that it was only the first half. I find it unlikely that anyone would have doubts about continuing but the longer chapters and extra 100 pages than in the first are certainly worth it. Definitely going to continue reading into the rebooted series 😄
on 16 February 2005
As someone who acutely misses the action, intelligence and style of the 'Star Trek Voyager' TV series (and of course, as someone who has read 'Homecoming') this is a must-read! Not only is it well written with humour, tension and sparkle by Christie Golden, but it also captures the essence of the Voyager crew without exception. The unique and engrossing storyline is certainly compelling, but the book's main strength lies in its effortless prose that keep the reader turning the pages. And not least of all...it's wonderful to get a continuation from the 'Endgame' finale!
I found only two problems with 'The Farther Shore'- firstly, the various new characters are given too much limelight. Those whose relevance and place in the story I could recall, I just didn't care enough about and the rest faded from my memory too easily. Secondly- without the excitement of the crew's return to Earth and all that entails extending into this second installment from the first, I didn't feel the plot compensated as much as it should have for that absence. But in conclusion- an excellent read and very reminiscent of those good old days. And it also has an ending that neatly wraps up all loose ends satisfactorily and leaves wide open the possibility for more 'Star Trek Voyager' books to come...