Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 May 2004
Like many, I saw this book reviewed on Richard & Judy and this made me reluctant to get it. However, I was going on holiday so decided to give it a go. The result? I stayed in all day so I could finish the book in a day, the only way I can describe it is as a lovely book! From the 1st page, I was drawn into Lucia's world and was sad when I left it. My mum has just finished it and loved it to - I would urge everyone to read it once in their life.
on 1 April 2005
I intended to read this for half an hour in the bath last night, I finished it at 2.15am after laughing and crying my way through the book in one sitting! It's incredibly captivating and you can feel the characters and the atmosphere of the era 'coming to life' out of the pages. Adriana Tigliani does a fantastic job in taking you back to the 1950's and making you feel part of a traditional Italian family, as well as being involved in the couture and glamour of the day. Highly recommend.
on 23 October 2003
I had been struggling to read a book all the way through, for months and months. Then I picked up this novel and found it so inspiring, delighful and joyous that i would have dropped eveything to finish it. It deserves the highest praise of being an honestly simple, stylish tale of emotion and family, as well as having a great heroine who is easy to empathise with. Luci,lucia is interwoven with beautiful description and detail that could appeal to anyone. In three words, bittersweet, feminine and strong.
on 29 April 2004
The first book I have read by this author, but I am now ordering all ofthem to have a Trigiani fest!
Set in New York in the late 40's/early 50's, this is the story of anItalian beauty/haute couture seamstress (which comes first?- this is thedilemma running through the book..) struggling to maintain her ownidentity and financial independence despite radical changes in industry inpost-war America, and pressure from her loving and well-meaning family andfriends.
I thoroughly enjoyed Trigiani's writing, and found it a completelyabsorbing read - couldn't put it down! Highly recommended!
on 13 August 2004
I found this book a little slow to start with, but soon got pulled into the life of the heroine, Lucia, and the ups and downs of her family and emotional experiences. An attractive and fascinating main character indeed.
At first I wasn't sure about the "bookend" format with the story being told in modern times to Kit at the beginning and end, but when you get to the last chapter you realise why that is needed and why it works!
In short, I think this author can do no wrong, and I look forward to catching up on her other books too.
on 2 June 2004
Firstly, I must say that I very rarely feel compelled to write a review. Secondly, I have very little time to read and usually take at least a month a read a book.
I chose this book because it was set the year my Mom and Dad got married and it had a connection with Italy (a country I love). I do not normally read books set in the 1950's as I have trouble emphasising with the characters; but with Lucia I had no problems.
Lucia is a confident, positive and pretty Italian/American. Who is fighting against the role that society what her to fulfil. She lives with a large and loving family and works with some marvellous people and meets her true-love during the book.
I read the whole book in a week and would have dearly loved to take a day off work to read the whole book in one go it was so intriguing.
One of the best things was that at the end of the book we jump back into 2004, for an update on what happened to everyone, which gave the story are really complete ending.
on 4 May 2009
I read this book a few years ago and was hooked from the start. The author really seems to capture the atmosphere of 1950's New York and I was totally transported there via these pages.

I was reminded of Lucia Lucia recently as I'm looking for another book to read that will be just as engaging. I'm afraid I haven't found anything yet but I long to find something as captivating as this. I'm not a fan of re-reading books but I'll always remember the enjoyment this book gave me. It fully deserves five stars.
on 1 June 2004
whilst reading Lucia, Lucia i realised how alike the character was to so many women today who are fighting oppressive, stereotypical views of what constitutes a woman. Based in the 50s New York, Lucia is a 26 year old Italian beauty who has hopes and dreams for herself. Unfortunately a shadow is soon cast over her life and she realises that her aspirations may have to take a back seat to the more important things in life.
Read it, it's 'unputdownable'
on 7 February 2004
Well I was skeptical at first! Had first heard a review whilst being sad and watching Richard & Judy. Decided that as Amazon had it in their sale I'd buy it. I didn't expect it to like it!
But as soon as I started to read it, I couldn't put it down!
Loved its simple style and simple story and could imagine each character very clearly.
It took me less that 3 days to read this, and its been a while since a book has made me want to keep reading!
on 24 April 2004
I saw this by chance being plugged on Richard & Judy a show I rarely watchor care to but.... THANK YOU!
This book I couldn't put down!
I read this is a record space of time & then passed it onto a friend whocouldn't put it down either!
The story is simple, but a good one.
A story of Italians in America and their changing fortunes.
I read this thinking what producer hasn't seen its potential, ok maybe notas a movie but a TV series or glossy one off?
It came alive & was utterly refreshing as she didn't resort to overtsexual liasons/ bad language , just a simple story, simply told.
Welldone!