Format: Paperback|Change

As an addicted fan of Dirk Pitt novels, I rate this book relative to what I like about the Dirk Pitt books. First, I find Pitt to be a thoroughly enjoyable hero. Second, I like the tying together of a historical perspective with a current theme. Third, Clive Cussler has a good imagination, and he often makes me think about things that I would never have otherwise considered. Fourth, I find my heart pounding and my palms sweaty as I sit up late at night to finish the latest novel.
By all these standards, Shock Wave is a definite 5 star novel. Arthur Dorsett and his daughters make for interesting opponents for Pitt. They will remind you of some of the villains in the James Bond novels.
Don't miss this one!
on 15 August 2001
A mysterious and agonising death is striking at all living things in the oceans at different locations around the globe... a natural phenomenon perhaps, Dirk Pitt Clive Cussler's fearless marine troubleshooter fears something far more sinister is responsible. Soon it becomes apparent that the cause is the result of a new and drastic type of diamond mining being carried out by a ruthless megalomaniac whose aim is to destroy the worlds diamond markets.
'Shockwave' although not my favourite Dirk Pitt adventure is as detailed and descriptive as ever, Clive Cusslers first-hand knowledge of nautical matters ranging from the early days of sail to the present day make this adventure easy to lose yourself in... especially so, if you're interested in maritime exploits and the sea.
Overall a classy adventure which is nothing less than the high standard we expect from the best selling Mr Cussler.
on 21 August 2009
This is a typical Clive Cussler novel, evil multi megalomaniac billionaire plotting a monopoly and at the same time threatening to cause untold mayhem and human catastrophe. Enter the hero Dirk Pitt to save the day - or will he? I have to say though despite it all I do enjoy reading Cussler's books as they are always well written with a smattering of historical reference and keep you gripped to the very end. It's always interesting to read how Dirk, Al and all the usual characters plus any new lady's Dirk has befriended get into almost impossible situations and seem to ingeniously get out of them.

This book was not as far fetched as some of Cussler's books Valhalla Rising immediately coming to mind and is a pretty decent action adventure read. If like me you enjoy Cussler's books and Dirk Pitt, you will enjoy this one too.
As an addicted fan of Dirk Pitt novels, I rate this book relative to what I like about the Dirk Pitt books. Here are my addictive causes: First, I find Pitt to be a thoroughly enjoyable hero. Second, I like the tying together of a historical perspective with a current theme. Third, Clive Cussler has a good imagination, and he often makes me think about things that I would never have otherwise considered. Fourth, I find my heart pounding and my palms sweaty as I sit up late at night to finish the latest novel.
Don't miss this one!
on 4 May 2005
This is my first Cussler book, and it's absolutely fantastic! I was up until the early hours of the morning reading this, as the plot sped along at a great, speedy pace! Cussler never gets bogged down in too much technical detail, never writes in blatant cliches, without making a joke out of them, and has a great sense of humour, when it is called for.
If you've never read Cussler, then you're really missing out! Excellent, highly recommended read to anyone who is bored of the cookie-cutter "adventure" novels that are littering the shelves these days.
Also try: Kyle Mills, Vince Flynn, John Sandford
on 19 December 2014
The mysterious and agonizing deaths of dolphins and seals is under investigation by Dirk Pitt in this novel.

A mysterious and agonizing death is preferable to reading this book. With a tenuous plot, an unrealistic description of a plane crash and a farcical plot twist; this is a book to avoid. My brain cells commuted suicide rather than be subjected to this drivel.

Not a fan.
on 21 August 2006
No author has cost me more sleep than Clive Cussler. This book is no exception. This is a wounderful,fast moving exciting story.If you don't know our hero Dirk Pitt I can only assume that you are on a visit to earth from a far flung planet.Once again Clive has given us a great story.He starts the story by telling us about a British clipper that sinke after a storm in 1856. The survivors are washed up on a tropical island where they discover diamonds. The story then comes up to date when our hero meets up with a party of passengers from a cruise liner who,it seems, have been abanded on a island. So begins this fast moving adventure. If you are already a Clive Cussler fan you will have read this book. If indeed you have been on a far flung planet then it is time to give yourself a treat and buy this book now.
I only started to read Clive Cussler in May this year(2009) whilst on holiday.I could not put the first book down. Fortunately,another book turned up on the free Bookshelf and I finished that as soon as I returned home. I found Shock Wave enthralling - really good read, full of adventure, humour, intrigue and action and much more. The book move from one scene of the action to another - you are never bored!! I enjoyed these books so much that I went out and bought 5 more books from Amazon. I have read 4 books so far and they are fabulous. I am a new convert to Mr. Cussler and can really recommend all his books to date. An awesome writer.
on 3 July 2004
The plot is not that strong and the phycics on the environmental disaster and the final solution are feable. But this book is a must for anyone interested in shipbreaks and survival at sea.
Clive Cussler usually starts his NUMA romans with a chapter on some disaster or misadvanture in the past and these set the stage for the adventure in the present. The historic account of a shipbreak and the account of Pitt and company when they are set adrift in the middle of the ocean are great! This book will make you open a worldmap to find out where they are floating.
At an other point it made me calculate how much time it would take to get from Alaska to New Sealand with a ship with a cruising speed of 100 kph. (about 3 days) The few illustrations are valuable addition to the text and don't spoil your own fantasy.
on 21 February 2013
Again another fantastic story from Clive Cussler. I am a great fan of this writer and again he has not disappointed with this novel.