on 2 August 2006
Peter David's 'Star Trek: New Frontier' series has been going for several years now and I am happy to say is still excellent. Perhaps the series does not have the initial flare and uniqueness it once had, but it's still head and shoulders above other Star Trek novels. David is not scared to mix things up by killing characters or making them act in new and interesting ways, and it is these characteristics that make the new book in the series, 'Missing in Action', better than the sum of its parts.

'MIA' refers to the USS Excalibur, which once again has found itself in trouble under the command of Captain Calhoun. They have ridden a wormhole to a new Universe where our science just does not exist. Meanwhile, in our universe Si Cwan, leader of the Thallion Empire, has rebellion in his midst and this is causing tension with his new wife Robin Lefler. With a giant tentacled race out to conquer our universe can the combination of our favourite characters save us?

As you can tell by this synopsis the different storylines would make this a difficult book to follow if you started the series here. I advice everyone to start the novels from the beginning and read them in order.

However, for fans of the collection this book is more of the same sense of fun and surprise that has come to represent the New Frontier books. Some of the writing is not the best and elements of the story just do not work. But the set pieces are what makes David's books so good. He is not afraid to poke fun at the Star Trek universe, and although you have to suspend your disbelief on occasion as the actions of the characters seem too crazy, these books are a joy to read. With some twists and moments of hilarity 'Missing in Action' shows that Peter David's New Frontier novels are well back on form.
on 14 June 2009
Nothing special. I've been going off New Frontier over the past few books, and this one I didn't even buy until it was in paperback and it's taken probably a couple of years to get around to reading it. Part of that was because I was re-reading the series to remind myself what had happened, but still...

Even when I got this far, I wasn't keen. The previous book in the series, 'After the Fall', didn't impress me, and finding the entire New Frontier universe mangled with in the three year storyline gap preceding 'Fall' with no real explanation led to some confusion.

And another thing... the previous novel in the series ended on a cliff-hanger, with the Starship Excalibur being pulled through a vortex into another realm... so I suspected that this may be irritatingly similar to the previous book I read 'Titan: The Red King'.

In fact, it wasn't as bad as I had imagined, and was a fairly enjoyable romp, although I feel the central part of the New Frontier series - Captain Calhoun and the USS Excalibur = has been watered down too much by spreading the cast around three ships, a starbase and a planet.

Once again, Peter David's knack for failure to put the toys back in the box has presented itself, which is refreshing compared to many Star Trek stories where the tension is somewhat lost by the knowledge that everyone has to survive.

I was disappointed by the ending of this one though. Everything was wrapped up a little too quickly and cleanly at the end, almost as if the author had given up on the story and quickly put together a conclusion.
on 2 October 2006
Another well written book by peter david, some fantastic scenes (even if the plot is a little bizarre.) If you like romulans, different dimensions and very strange races you'll love it. If not the connections which form between the characters is breath taking and the character developement is excellent. I Found it better than his previous two books. A fantastic book which is absolutely imposible to put down
on 17 May 2015
Long winded as it goes. The main protagonists to the story are strange. The story continues to a strange place and kills some main story people off