• Cabal

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 June 2009
Cabal is the second Clive Barker book I've read, the first being Hellbound Heart, and I'm still debating whether I like him as a writer.

Firstly something that really stood about the book Cabal is his magnificent prose, he has a strong grasp of language and his prose is flowing and often times beautiful. His depiction of Midian stayed in my mind long after the book was finished. Secondly this has been mentioned time and time again, his imagination is unlike anything I've read before, and it's quirky and off beat but the strong descriptions and down to earth characters make the book relatable.

There was a lot to like about the book, the imagination, the prose and aspects of characters. However after I finished the book I started thinking about it, and it does have some glaring floors, a lot of the characters while down to Earth, but are a bit one dimensional, at least I found that. Boone's motives are hard to figure out, does he want revenge? Does he want to fit in? What happened in his past that made him such an outcast? I don't want things to be spelt out for me, but I don't think that Clive Barker even knew, he just seemed to be changing his motivations to fit with the plot. The book doesn't have much depth either, its a short book but it doesn't exactly delve into human consciousness, it had a lot of good ideas but I would have liked Clive Barker to spend more time developing them, rather then focusing on the more pulpy aspects of his work. Two pages talking about blood and only a paragraph devoted describing the vast underworld of Midian, choices like this seemed a bit odd to me.

I'd recommend this book if just for the oddness of the story, but I'm not sure it'd be fore everyone.
on 28 August 2001
Cabal takes you into a different world, where the monster is not all it seems. Answer the question why do human kind fear all they do not understand? could it be that inside of us all a little bit of monster really does exist and we would urge the day that it would rise to the surface and be free. Clive Barker opens a door to this world with Cabal, do you dare to read further?
on 24 February 2001
This is the first C.Barker book I've read and it still hold a dear place in my heart. The author creates a dark world, where good and evil is slightly different. The creatures of the night live beside us: the werewolf, the vampire, and the bogeyman. And they are an entirely different community, with their own laws, customs and lore. And they also have their enemies, who, although human in form, hide a monstrous soul.
In the dark underworld of the 'Nightbreed', we follow the heroin in her search of her dead lover, who proves to be not as dead after all. Together they defend the hidden clan from their pursuers, fulfilling an old Messianic prophecy.
I just wish Clive Barker would write a sequel to this excellent tale.
on 21 February 2008
This reasonably satisfying read tells the story of Boone, a man who is framed by his sadistic psychiatrist for a whole host of grisly murders her didn't commit.

The gore is plentiful in places, which will please many a fan of horror novels. Despite this, the book lacks the same utterly sadistic, grim, nihilistic edge of 'Hellraiser', the film which was directed by Clive Barker. The story of the Nightbreed, who occupy a world built underneath a graveyard, is more in the realms of horror fantasy, though well-written just the same.

Overall, however, this lacks the same kind of 'edge-of-the-seat' visceral terror of other Clive Barker works, despite it's well-crafted style.
on 19 September 2013
Now I know I have given this a set of 5 Stars, even though I have not really had time to read it yet - but I have been trying to borrow this book from the Library for a number of years now and it is always out!!! So having seen it on Amazon - I decided to buy it - the book arrived well before the due date and very well packaged via Amazon.
The Book was a Used purchase - and in excellent condition, packaging was excellent too, so that is mainly why I have given it 5 Stars.
But As the writer is so good anyway - I have no Qualms that this book will not meet a 5 Star Standard as well :o)
on 16 January 2012
After reading this book over 11 years ago, i had another look at it.
Boon was still as handsome and looking for something that he wasn't.
but Decker convinced him otherwise. So Boon went to the city of the dead
where the monsters live. an innocent man soon to be of the children of the moon.
As most Clive Barker books cabal is wonderfully written and caught my imagination.
Nightbreed the movie was based on this book, but the book is far better.
Still waiting for the next part, but as always we can but hope.
on 17 January 2016
This was one of Clive Barker's stories that I have been meaning to read for years but for some reason I never got around too. However, as I bought myself a kindle just after Christmas I thought 'why the hell not' and bought it. It's not a long story, nowhere near the size of weaveworld, the books of the Art or Imajica (which was HUGE), but it is every bit a Barker novel. If you like his work I would recommend this whole heartedly.
on 24 March 2008
I bought this book after thinking the film Nightbreed, only scratched the service of what could be a really interesting story. Unfortunatley, the book follows almost exactly the same story as the film. This book should have been a tome, maybe even a trilogy, the story could have been sooooo much better.
on 5 December 2008
Do not be offput by the Nightbreed movie. Although it holds a particular fondness for me there is so much more to Barkers writing which gives you an empathy with the characters...human and monster alike. Deserves a sequel although we may never see it. A minor classic yet again and beautifully written.
on 25 July 2013
I love many of Clive Barker's books - The Damnation Game and In The Flesh especially - but had never read Cabal. I was surprised at how passive some of the phrasing is, and at the amount of filtering, but nevertheless it's a great read with all the darkness we have come to expect.