Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 August 2004
I read this at a time when I was feeling as if I had no direction in life. After reading it I thought 'wow!' The only reason I felt low was because I chose to be - maybe not conciously but I chose this none the less. The second time round I actually studied it and put it into practice. I cannot even begin to say how much life has changed for me. I am now flourishing in my career, everyone who knows me has noticed a positive difference, there is little or nothing that I cannot deal with and even my health has improved beyond measure. Forget life coaches that charge £60 an hour; this is all you need.
11 comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2004
This book provides the tools to make positive lasting change in your life. The techniques are not difficult to understand, they just require practise to enable you to use them naturally and effectively.
Buying this book is the best investment in myself I've ever made.
on 1 May 2001
For any of you who are feeling a bit low or just downright depressed this book is a must. Don't visit a shrink! Trawling through your old troubles only reinforces them and makes you less happy. The way ahead is to concentrate on the many positive characteristics that lie within us all. This book gives you practical steps which you can use to harness the power within.
on 19 June 2001
I first listened to this nearly two years ago, and it helped to start a journey which has dramatically change the quality of my life. Tony has the power and understanding to help you see that there can be much more to life than you have settled for so far. This is done through support and encouragement and helping you believe that you deserve to be happy, to be free, to conspire to achieve more. Many of us are held back by all the emotional baggage we carry around with us - mainly caused by traumas in our past. Tony shows how you can dispel these, move on, and choose happiness. More importantly he explains how many of us have 'chosen' not to be happy, quite deliberately, albeit subconsciously. These are patterns which we can break out of - and if we have courage and take the opportunity then the rewards are incredible. I find Tony's books pretty hard work - ideally you need to see the guy live, but if you can't then these tapes are the next best thing.
on 14 August 2001
I bought this to listen to in the car after reading the book and was very disappointed. Although the title suggests it, it is not an audio version of the book at all, but a set of rambling excerts of Anthony Robbins taken from seminars and short recordings.
The material is made up of some of the anecdotes found in the book, some of the introductory passages and an explanation of some of the headings. But only a fraction of the book content was covered.
A waste of money unless you like the sound of his voice.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2001
Don't be put of by the idea of buying a self help book. This one actually contains some really helpful practical steps and not just a pile of feel-good canned philosophy.
There is a lot of information in it and more than meets the eye. So much so that it can be hard to take in.
But it is worth trying the exercises that Robbins describes. At worst it helps you to feel positive despite difficult situations, and to draw on resources that you can't normally find. At best the techniques seam to make it possible to break through barriers that previously seamed impenetrable.
VINE VOICEon 17 May 2001
This book is truly a gift. For those of you out there who are wondering what makes one truly successful, this is a must-buy for you. The book gives you a simple step by step actions to change your aspect in any part of your life. However, this book requires you to work at it. It's not simply a book that you read through and change by the time you reach the end of it. To truly change, you must put the steps outlined in this book into action.
Join in this exciting journey of change and take control of your life.
on 6 February 2001
I'm now reading this book for the third time, it's that good. I want to give you three concrete examples of how this book has helped me. After I first read this book, I wrote down that I wanted to lose weight. Within 7 months of doing so I had lost nearly 11 Kg. Today I weigh 73 Kg, which is a good weight for my age, height and sex.
I then wrote down "Speaking a foreign language fluently" as a goal. Within seven months my ability in that language was good enough to cope with job interviews, and I got the first job abroad I was interviewed for.
My third example: when I read the book I was living in a tiny one-room flat, with a bathroom and kitchen too small to turn around in. I was sleeping on an old futon base on the floor. The flat was inundated with ever-multiplying dust, partly from the polluted road outside. Within 6 months of reading the book I had a larger, dust-free flat with two rooms, a bed, and a larger bathroom and kitchen.
on 1 January 2004
a disappointing purchase in as much as the content was minimal, at just short of an hour, and consisted of snippets from a seminar. What content there is, is inspirational, but the blatant cashing in kind of detracts from Tony Robbins statement that he wants to help people. You do lose a little respect for the guy when you realise you have purchased a few scraps that were left on the floor of the editing suite.
Remember where you came from Tony!!!!
on 3 June 2006
I borrowed this book from the library after seeing an advert for Anthony Robbins' products on a shopping channel. I'm into self-help books and I heard good things about his products and read good reviews about this book, so I decided to have a look at it. I ended up being a bit disappointed though, because I thought it would be better.

Good points:

There are plenty of exercises for you to do, which I think is good because it's something practical you can do now. My favourite exercise was the goal setting one, where you make an inventory of your dreams and then set goals for achieving them and steps that you can take towards accomplishing them. I also like the technique of making images smaller, eg. making a negative image smaller and further away or fuzzy, so it loses its power.

The book was interesting, especially the part about how people process information and the direction in which people's eyes move when they're thinking about something.

Bad Points: Anthony did come across as bit opinionated at times, especially when he was talking about eating meat, eg. "But you should know you can be healthier and happier than you are now by deciding you no longer want to eat off the flesh and skin of other living beings." I understand that that is his opinion but lots of people have decided that they can be happy and healthy eating meat and everyone has that choice. It just feels like he's pushing vegetarianism at you a bit.

I don't know if the author has experienced actual clinical depression but he doesnn't seem to understand it. I think it's a good idea to distract yourself from your depression but changing you state by acting happy all the time isn't going to make your problems go away. I also found it disturbing that the founders of NLP went into a mental institution and pretended they were going to crucify a man who thought he was Jesus (to help him). It worked and he said he wasn't Jesus but it seems dangerous that two men who hadn't previously treated him, were allowed to just go in and do that. One of them is a Gestalt therapist, so they did have some experience with psychology but it could have been dangerous.

Also this book was written 20 years ago, so some of the information is outdated now.

My overall opinion is that the book has some good exercises and ideas but I don't think it's suitable for people with depression or other mental illnesses. The depression advice should really be left to people with qualifications and experience in mental health treatment. Like it says in the book, you can just read it, take the bits out of it that you like and leave the ones you don't.