on 17 October 2016
While some of Picoults books have a twist people don't agree with, this book will leave you feeling right about the ending and has a much more gentle story telling. There will always be questions left unanswered and things that might not make sense, but you'all be glad you gave your time to these characters and their viewpoints.
on 10 March 2017
bought as a gift
on 27 March 2017
Very happy with the book.
on 5 June 2017
As always, Jodi tells a good story
on 27 April 2017
enjoyed book
on 28 August 2013
Was such a good book. I could barely put it down. I would definitely recommend it although it did make me cry! Such a emotive book!
I got this as a gift for my mom, who loves reading. The first thing she said to me was that this was the weirdest book she had ever read. The base of the story was good, but throughout you had cookery recipes and methods. She said if she wanted cooking ideas, she would watch Ready Steady Cook. She persevered but the strange story was mixed up and confusing.

She said this will go straight to the charity shop. Enough said!
VINE VOICEon 22 March 2009
I am a great fan of Jodi Picoult, I've read 8 of her books - and therein lies the problem - she is starting to become very formulaic. Handle With Care is very reminiscent of My Sister's Keeper, with brittle bone disease in place of leukemia.

Willow (what a wonderful name!) is born with OI - Osteogenesis imperfecta. Before birth seven bones have broken and healed, by the time she's five, she's suffered over 50 breaks. Her whole life is centred around avoiding danger, where a small slip may result in a hospital visit. Her older sister, Amelia, loves her dearly but also feels very ostracised by the effects of the disease and the time her parents must spend with Willow.
Income is tight, Willow's Dad is a police officer and her Mum was once a pastry chef. The disease is financially crippling, for special wheelchairs, physiotherapy not covered by insurance etc. So when Charlotte discovers that she can sue her obstetrician (who also happens to be her best friend) for not informing her about Willow's condition with enough time to abort, she sees it as a solution to their financial problems; allowing Willow the necessary support and equipment that they are struggling to fund.
This causes all sorts of stresses within the family, interactions that are beautifully covered by the author. To my mind, this is where Jodi Picoult excells. She's also brilliant with the reality of living with disability and the effects it has on a family.

I didn't think the spasmodic recipies served much purpose, while obviously intended to have a double meaning, they seemed a bit unnecessary.

While I still admire Picoult's depiction of sibling interactions and parental heart searching, I am tiring of the ubiquitous court case and the story line is starting to feel very familiar. She is a wonderful writer but needs to find a fresh angle surprise us again.
66 Comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2010
I really like Picoult because they're quite thought provoking books. However, the last few I've read, including this one, are all getting a bit similar. The stories all seem to follow the same basic structure and are becoming a little bit predictable. When I was reading Handle with Care, it did remind me far too much of My sisters Keeper. I also thought the ending of this book was a bit odd and I actually found myself annoyed by it!
44 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2009
Big fan of Jodi but this book is quite similar to a couple of her previous ones. It was worth the read but I feel that the ending really let it down and made the whole story pointless.