Customer reviews

on 2 September 2017
A book everyone should read. It should be introduced into schools too, so kids are taught the truth, not fables, they will then be able to decide for themselves how they choose to view, understand & interact with animals.
on 15 July 2015
This is a beautiful book. My son bought it for my birthday, knowing I would enjoy its stories of rescue and yet be enraged by the attitudes of agribusinesses. Gene Baur draws you in to the story of the origins of Farm Sanctuary and details the many ways in which animals have crossed his path in the decades since its humble beginnings. He and the team work seemingly tirelessly to change the attitudes of governments towards animals, promote a plant-based lifestyle, and care for the animals that live in the sanctuaries they have created. The animals they care for are the lucky few amid billions of animals that serve an appetite for animal products that is both unnecessary and unhealthy. I am vegan and have been so since 2002, before that I was vegetarian since 1977. Reading a book such as Farm Sanctuary reinforces my shame that I did not become vegan sooner! I strongly recommend this book to anyone who loves animals - it will, as the tagline says, 'change hearts and minds'!
on 8 September 2012
This is a great book. The author has a great writing style, writing about both facts about factory farming and his own, personal experiences with the animals Farm Sanctuary has rescued. These stories about the animal individuals are interesting to read. It makes you think about the billions of different individuals slaughtered every year.

This book will warm your heart, and maybe give you some hope about animal rights.
on 3 June 2016
I've read some traumatic literature in the past, but am not ashamed to say that the chapter on poultry reduced me to tears and haunted me for several days. The depravity of the meat and dairy industry is beyond comprehension and collectively we are responsible for perpetuating the misery of both animals and humans. I live in the UK and don't know if the same farming practices are as prevalent here, however I IImagine the reality to be pretty gruesome.

Baur is an incredible and inspirational person, some of the stories of rescued animals are beautiful. I now want to take my veganism further and would like to be involved in the kind, compassionate activism that Farm Sanctuary embodies. This book is a complete education, I urge you to read it and then see if you look at your food choices beyond your own palate and desires.
on 13 November 2010
This book really will change your heart and mind as to how you view farm animals and indeed humans. One of the most thought provoking books.
on 31 March 2015
This book changed my life, prompting me to turn from a sometimes-vegetarian into a compassionate and ethically-minded vegan. I would never have believed that I'd go vegan before reading this book but there was no doubt in my mind after reading it! One of my favourite books of all time, thank you Gene (both for writing the book and for all that you do for the animals).
on 28 April 2015
Very informative ,opens your eyes to how truly cruel people can be to these poor animals, some see them as meat where others seeing them as living creatures, who have feelings, they feel pain just like we do, the farm sanctuary is an amazing book has deep meaning for those who love animals.
on 18 November 2015
This extremely well considered book changed my life. I became a vegan.