Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 June 2008
As a life-long fantasy fan I get very bored of hack-and-slash novels with poor characterisation, clearly written for misogynistic 12 year old boys, disguising itself as 'fantasy'.

Luckily, this is not what Firethorn is.

Sarah Micklem has managed to create a believable world with a complex, strong-minded, intelligently written main character who- and this is the main proof of her talent as a writer- is not always entirely likeable but is always sympathetic and readable.

Not just for fantasy lovers, this is a fantastically well-eritten story.
on 2 November 2006
What a fantastic and gripping beginning to what promises to be an excellent trilogy.

I found the main character 'Luck' utterly compelling and the relationship between her and Galen evolved in a way that left me unable to put the book down! The intensity between them is fantastic, it blasts of the page!

The atmosphere Micklem creates is completely believable and I found myself immersed in a fantasy world which had a really authentic almost historic feel to it.

It's difficult for me to pin down what it was that made this book so wonderful to read, there is just something really magical about Micklem's style of writing. Her characters with their stengths and flaws are as fascinating as they are understandable.

The end of the book leaves us with well established characters and of course some unanswered questions. I cannot wait for the next book in the series!!!
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2004
This book came with excellent recommendations on its flycover and I started it with high expectations. Sadly I found myself avidly reading waiting for the action to begin... and it never quite did. I found it rather disappointing as I thought it had lots of potential. I just found myself waiting for "something" to happen and the real story to start - but it never did. Alternatively this month I read The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop and Magician's Guild by Tracy Canavan and found these both excellent books that were unputdownable.
on 5 August 2009
I don't usually write bad reviews because let's face it, the author has put in a lot of effort to write a book and that should be respected. However this book really riled me, because I cannot see why the main character was built up in the first few chapters to be a strong and independent woman, but then she abandons everything to follow this Galan, who proceeds to control her every move. I got to page 229 where she was drugged and sick and he 'uses' her anyway when I decided that this book was not going to make it to the charity shop; I refuse to let someone else waste their time with it. It is, ironically given the title, going on the fire.
on 22 August 2009
Both my boyfriend and I have read this several times each and loved it. It's well written, with believable characters who aren't perfect or even all that likeable at times. It's the story of a woman trying to find her place in her mysoginistic world, to win the love of the man she loves, and also his respect, and it's also about him learning to respect and love her, though he makes a couple of bad decisions that make you want to smack him ! The atmosphere is sorta "Pre-raphaelite Medieval, or fantasty Medieval, and very well evoked. As to why she'd go off with Galan - well she has to have a place somewhere, isn't equipped to manage entirely by herself although she is quite resourceful, and wouldn't last long by herself on someone else's land - plus, she loves him, and it's an opportunity to see the world.
Can't wait to read the second book, been waiting a long time and it's finally here.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2006
I have to agree with gilli. There was a lot of potential, then it got stuck. Rather like a fascinating building with a boring museum-like interior - it draaaged along. I would say there was too much substance focusing on the wrong details. Certainly the characters are realistic, wrestling with their own human defects and morals, and if you like an in-depth look at character, there is ample and to spare in this book. It is a little like reading a diary of the heroine, but personally I'd prefer it to be a real person.
on 27 April 2009
This is an unusual story with a medieval feel.A bit bloody at times with some bits which made uncomfortable reading but overall a riveting read.The passion between the two characters was so fierce but utterly believable.It was a book that I was very reluctant to give back to my library and I shall certainly be buying it in the future.I cannot wait until the next installment comes out in May.
on 19 March 2010
I read this at the kitchen table, on the train, whilst my husband was sleeping and anywhere else that I could find a spare minute. It is an excellent book. The heroine is compelling and the story moves on both slowly enough for us to get a real feel for the world around "Firethorn" but also with enough events to keep you eagerly turning the pages. The following book is also a great read.
on 20 September 2010
Where to start when i first picked up the book i thought i was going to be sorely diappointed as i am not a huge fan of the first person narrative BUT i was so wrong this book is the best i have read in a long while, i was captivated by the story and was desperate to reach the end i have just ordered the next book in the series as i cant wait to continue the adventure.
on 22 June 2005
I bought this book recently on the strength of the review given by amazon.I was not disappointed. The character of Firethorn was so human and believable, her world was realised in such rich detail and her story sucked me in from the start. I was hooked from chapter one, and I read the book in every spare second I had. The story stays with me still and I am waiting with bated breath for the next book in the trilogy. I totally disagree with your reviewer who found the book unsatisfying and would recommend it wholeheartedly to any lover of a gritty realistic fantasy story (if that's not a contradiction in terms!)