on 4 October 2016
I started life as a fine artist, making work, exhibiting, etc. For a long time I had a very consistent and active creative habit. But over the years, family life and work life have taken over more of my time and attention, and my artistic practice has taken a back seat. In an effort to rekindle the creative habit in my life, I turned to this book to see if it had anything to offer. I've found it very helpful. The suggestions are effectively a strategy for any creative work. It is a practical guide underpinned by real-world experience. Although she comes from the dance world, many of the things Twyla Tharp outlines in this book resonate with me as a visual artist, but seeing them laid out clearly has helped me reconnect to habits and ideas I once knew, but didn't know I knew because they were so intrinsic to my work.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 July 2013
If I could boil this book down to its essence, I would say the main theme is: if you want to be creative, just make a start. But Tharp gives all sorts of tips on how to get started, how to be inspired, how to approach tasks. It really is a fascinating insight into how she maintained her creative life, and I found it a very inspiring book. My main problem regarding being creative had been a big block in just starting and getting on with it. I found the answer and the advice I really needed in this book.
5 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2015
This book is a very practical and insightful guide to increasing your creativity. It takes the mystery out of the process and makes it a possibility for anyone who is willing to work hard to develop their creative muscles.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2018
Interesting book to keep dipping into. I seem to understand it better as my own practice intensifies.
on 13 February 2013
At last, a book about the creative life that does exactly what it says on the tin. There is a lot of personal insight here but, importantly, there is just a lot of straight common-sense advice about the everyday reality of earning your living as a creative - and it's mostly organisation, discipline and hard work. My thanks to Twyly for shaking me out of my creative rut.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2015
She is like that tough teacher, killing you for not pulling your weight and making excuses. I really enjoyed her style of writing and I've recommended it to others
2 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2018
I expected to enjoy it more! but seriously the writer uses her personal life as an example of a successful creative person, which is fine to an extend but after the first chapter I started just reading the headline of the book to get directly the message she's trying to say!
on 7 May 2014
I read this straight through in a couple of days, I think I will now go back and read it again. The practice exercises to get your creative juices going ring true, they are all things which I have perhaps done accidentally when feeling fed up and 'stuck'.
on 10 October 2015
Enjoyable and inspirational read giving insights into the creative process from a leading choreographer. I keep returning to the book and often refer to it in classroom sessions/discussions etc. A little wordy in parts, but definitely a favourite on my bookshelf.
on 22 June 2015
as needing to be more fucusd in the design process I felt I needed additional training to help me focus