Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 December 1999
Having read the excellent Microserfs and Generation X I was greatly dissapointed by this book. The idea is great exploring the general apathy faced by those approaching middle age. The dilema between whether to settle down & become a productive member of society or to forever be the rebel. But what comes out is very disjointed & ultimately dissapointing. The reason it gets two crowns if for the idea. Do yourself a favour & read his other work.
on 28 April 2003
I love this book, Coupland writes in such a beautifully simple way about such huge questions. It's impossible not to be touched by the musings of each character about their lives.
on 4 June 2003
I laboured through this book, which seems to be some kind of homage to Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, but without any actual story, or indeed, any thought-provoking ideas. I found all of the stories were written from the perspective of navel-gazing simpering fools.
The best thing I can say about this book is that I was unable to get interested, and the way it is broken into small chunks of text with drawings, means that it is easy to read a few pages at a time.
So there you go - I have one good thing to say about this book: "It's put-downable."
I persevered, but it just wasn't worth it.
on 21 June 2005
This is the 3rd Douglas Coupland book I have read and it will be the last! I quite liked 'Generation X' though the smugness of the characters did begin to grate towards the end and I read half of the abysmal 'Microserfs'. Taking this into account I decided to give Coupland one last try with 'Life After God'. Coupland seems to have made a fine career out of writing meaningless statements and asking supposedly 'deep' but ultimately unanswerable and hollow questions. Some of the characters are more annoying than others and at certain points in the book I actually thought that Coupland might be meaning for us to laugh at the characters rather than show empathy for them. Coupland makes it so hard for us to care for or even believe in the majority of these empty people who openly admit to being unsure and unhappy about the present and future and seemingly proud of it. Maybe I have missed the point of this book but I think it proves that poignancy can not be delivered in bulk.
on 22 November 2004
I like Douglas Coupland's books but this book, as much as i do like it, it does lack something. The book shows the point of views of the narrators and their troubles. Their words mean alot and the reader understands their search for God. The title might be misleading to be a religious book, but it isn't. It's numerous journies searching for God and asking what is religion and where is God? It's sort of philosophical in a depressing sort of way. It asks what everyone will think, no matter what beliefs you have, because the afterlife is so unknown.
What is bad about it is that the narrators change too often and sometimes without warning. It becomes confusing who is speaking and thus each story begins and ends out of nowhere.
In all, it is a good book, but not one of Coupland's best.
on 17 February 2006
Having never read any of Douglas Coupland’s previous works, I decided to give Life After God a go when it was recommended to me here. I have to admit, I was certainly looking forward to it, particularly because it seemed to have some significance to existentialism from the blurb and I was a little seduced by the idea of the American road-trip thing, a fascination gleaned from reading J.T. Leroy’s ‘The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things’ (which, by the by, is an excellent book and well worth the money unlike SOME).
However, after exploring Coupland’s weak multi-narration, teamed with the characters who’s anonymity was rather annoying than atmospherical plus the cheesy ‘reflective’ one-liners that could have come from a fortune cookie rather than days of inhabiting the woods or slacking off work, I finally finished the 100 or so pages of Life After God learning that what life after God actually produced was God. It’s like escaping from the wicked witch’s gingerbread house to find that you needed a wicked witch all along, except that you couldn’t realize her within the saccharine climate of the gingerbread house.
Bad analogies aside, this book did have some benefits and, dare I say it, highlights. The few and far-between good spots were Coupland’s appreciation of nature by his narrators when they fled from their systematic lives, the nomadicity of the drifters in the novel and the maturing account of the group of friends in the final narration of the book. It seems by de-personalising his narrators the only thing Coupland achieves is his (ex)readers disinterest. When the characters were actually given personalities, such as Louie and Laurie and Cathy and Pup-Tent (I know) the real magic of Life After God shone through. The book was actually meaningful and, if you squinted your eyes you might have seen resemblances between it and such timeless classics as ‘Catcher In the Rye’ and ‘American Psycho’. Alas, this did not last. Coupland then resumed his ineffective character anonymity that he tried to parallel with the desolate American deserts and highways, but came off like a sullen teenager deliberately not putting their name on their maths exercise book.
Some may term this simplicity. I call it laziness, a trait which should only be put into practice when considering purchasing Life After God.