on 26 June 2006
This is an excellent book. I am writing this review because I am rather annoyed by the reviewer who does not recommend this book for people who worry. People who worry frequently want as much information as possible and this book is excellent as it has everything in one place. For my first pregnancy I read most of the pregnancy books, bought or borrowed. This is my second pregnancy and I am going to read this one book only. I agree that its a tad medicalised but its great if you have any niggling question or worry. If you need an answer to your question this is the place.
on 16 January 2006
I have waited until my son was born to write this. No point writing it before. I bought this book when two months pregnant, along with several other well known books and can honestly say that this has been by far the best of them all. It is honest, realistic and very informative not only of what happens month on month (and in much greater detail than any other book I have seen) but also on complications, illness and what to do about them. It is a great reference book with alot of medical detail. It provides the depth of information for you to understand what is "normal" and what isn't, very useful with all the changes that occur! This was a book that I read and re-read as my pregnancy progressed, their section on labour is brilliant with information I hadn't been been able to access anywhere else. I would highly recommend this book to anyone pregnant.
on 25 April 2008
I was very disappointed by this book. Yes, it's full of information, but it is presented in a very detached and negative way. Perhaps americans like to know all the possible problems of pregnancy but I prefer some reassurrance with the possibility of further information if I need it. I have found other books to present the same information in a much more positive light, with complications and further information listed in a separate section... It felt cold, too clinical... No colour, no personal input... Not a book I am turning to on a regular basis! Where is the JOY?
on 14 February 2008
With all the scaremongering that this book offered, I thought I was prepared for anything to go wrong. Unfortunately, I seem to have got the one thing that this book had no information on (obstretic cholestasis, if interested)... the book had a lot of information, but I have to agree that it is really an American book and was not overly relevant within the British context. That said, I found it useful to skim through and gain quick ideas as to what to expect with pregnancy in general.
on 15 January 2004
I am very aware of the baby book etc cash-in syndrome, so I was sceptical when a friend lent me this book (amongst many others). Turned out to be THE pregnancy book - especially if you are interested in details. Being utterly paranoid about being pregnant, their wealth of accumulated knowledge allayed most of my niggles. There is so much that obviously I couldn't read every word, but the question headings are a great guide to pick and choose from on a monthly basis. I only read a couple of months ahead at a time so as to not freak myself out.
I followed their Best Odds Diet almost religiously (found it useful to map it out on paper/spreadsheet to plan for the day), and the result: babies in perfect health scoring 10 on Agpar. Could be genetic (doubt it considering the state of my parents, bless 'em), but I did take on practically ALL their advice.
Additionally, even though I had twins I found this book more informative than many of the specialised twins books (these tended to be more useful on how to raise them).

I'm now using the next book in the series as my main guide for looking after the little 'uns...
on 8 September 2003
I was very disappointed in this book. It was full of worse-case scenarios (which you don't want to know about when you're having a normal pregnancy) and some very silly Q&As.
This book is originally a US book that has been revised for a UK audience, however, I found it was poorly edited and there was still US information that was not relevant to a UK reader.
The NHS book that you get for free is much better and full of more relevant information than this book.
on 20 May 2003
If you want to be reassured during your pregnancy - don't buy this book. It is alarmist and frightening and designed to make you feel guilty and inadequate. If you do want to hear about worst case scenarios and want to worry about things which hadn't occured to you (ie. how oral sex during pregnancy can be fatal) then DO buy this book. Moreover, if you are buying from the UK you will find that all information about hospitals and ante-natal care is US based and not helpful.
on 19 April 2008
I loathe the style this book is written in, it is extremely prissy and presents a very US, medicalised and narrow-minded approach to pregnancy. it assumes you have a partner (straight and married) and that you have constant medical care, from the same person who acctually gives a damn. The first GP i saw for my first pregnancy (who i never saw again), did no tests and basically couldn't have cared less. I NEVER saw the same person twice during my pregnancy and the birth. The book is also totally hopeless in regards to anything even slightly 'alternative', in fact i think it borders on scaremongering. Also whoever wears clothes like the poor lady on the cover should be shot - there is NO excuse to dress in leggings and a peach sweater - EVER!!!

The only positive I can say is that i do like the structure and although I hate the style of writing it does cover a lot of material.
on 30 January 2008
This was the only book I found that dealt with both the good and the worrying sides of pregancy. Having had two miscarriages, I had lots of niggling worries thoughout my third pregnany - this book saved my sanity!

I can honestly say that this book was my pregnancy bible and I would recommend it to anyone. The book is set out in useful, monthly chapters and each one begins by telling you what your baby's doing and what you may be feeling - physically and emotionally. Then there are frequently asked questions covering both the normal and not so normal!There is also a chapter specifically for dads-to-be, practical information on what to do if you suddenly go into labour and have to give birth at home, information about birthing options, multiple births, diet and exercise, and what to expect during the first few weeks after birth.

All in all a fantastic book! Oh, and I now have 2 lovely healthy little girls!
on 21 July 2003
My sister kindly lent this book to me. I was very nervous during my pregnancy. This book gave me some reassurance on how I could be feeling emotionally and physically in each month. It is helpful if it's your first pregnancy and/or you don't have anyone you feel you can confide in about questions you may have.