on 8 August 2004
I had never made soup before i was recommended this book - now nothing goes to waste that can be made into soup! What is good about this book is the recipies are simple, yet tasty and affordable - with something for every occasion. It also gives you the basics you need to come up with your own delicious recipies. In my opinion, no cook should be without this book! The best book of the Womens Institute series.
on 23 May 2006
This book is well laid out with clear chapters and straight forward recipes. Every recipe I've tried (everything that doesn't contain tomatoes) has turned out wonderfully! As always, the WI have the first line in soup and you will be inspired by the original and varied recipes within.
on 4 August 2008
This is a wonderful book for everyone from beginner to seasoned producer of meals. The recipes work. The instructions are clear. The ingredients are obtainable. And, most importantly they taste GREAT! I have been known as a soup dragon (producing homemade soups) for more years than I care to remember and I found lots of new ideas and good recipes to pinch and make my own.
Buy it! It's a snip!
on 17 May 2009
I have had this book for a while and it has been well used. Not to say that I have tried most of the recipes in the book. However, whenever I still have some leftover vegetable in the fridge and , I would look up the index and almost always, it would give me some ideas. Recipes are simple and easy; no fancy ingredients. It's a great way to get our children have some more vegetable too.
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2016
The recipes in this book are super....or should that be 'souper'? I have four shelves of recipe books and this is one of my favourites, one the books I always turn to when I want a soup. Yes, some of the recipes are a bit weird and may have you foraging in the fields, but most of them are good foundation recipes that you will want to use over and over again. The tomato and basil is probably my favourite and produces a better version of this famous dish than most restaurants I have been to! The chilli bean is another ideal winter recipe. And if you want a good filling recipe, there are beef and chicken soups which are more like stews - good, old-fashioned hearty food. I even prefer this book to the Covent Garden series which is, of course, much more famous. It's also thin - it will fit easily on a shelf - so it's worth the tiny bit of space that it will take up.
on 31 December 2013
What I like about this recipe book is that it does not require you to have a store cupboard full of exotic ingredients.
Many of the recipes use in season vegetables which is always beneficial as regards quality and price.
My daughters who would regard the WRI with suspicion as being old fashioned have even purchased copies of this book. This is praise indeed!
on 18 October 2012
I was looking for a book of soups and went for this one based on other reviews. I actually bought 2 different books... and have yet to cook anything from the other one.
This book has provided simple and easy soups that taste fantastic every time. They don't involve idiotic ingredients and they don't expect you to use every pan in the kitchen. Where the cooking time is long, the writers tell you so.

I like the fact that there are several recipies for the same food- broccoli, peas, leeks, onions, etc are all given more than one recipe and allows you to ring the changes when you have a glut of one of them.
And I also like the fact that all the things that used to end up curling up, drying up or going mouldy at the bottom of our fridge don't get that far any more!
on 28 December 2013
Uses many ingredients I have in the kitchen, so no need to go out and buy lots of things I'll never use again.
on 7 October 2016
Received the soup recipe book very promptly, the condition was immaculate, as I purchased it for a friend I was more than happy with it, and my friend was delighted. Many thanks
on 16 March 2016
Very happy with this book. The condition of the book is indeed excellent, as the seller had stated. The book contains a variety of recipes which are easy to follow.