on 7 November 2003
Sarah Ban Breathnach's Romancing the Ordinary is a wonderful journey through the year. It restores the readers' sense of wonder and opens the mind to the awesome beauty that surrounds us every day. We are encouraged to slow down and really see the wonder and beauty around us. This book is a real pleasure to read. By incorporating some of Sarah's ideas into the daily round, the reader will see each day as the wonderful and amazing gift it is, not simply something to be "got through" on the way to the next one.
Sarah Ban Breathnach sets the essays out in monthly sections and takes the reader gently through the year, encouraging us all to be sensuists or "people who revel in life's sensory experiences". There is so much of life we simply miss by rushing through and not seeing it. The reader is encouraged to slow down and really see and enjoy the blessings all around us.
I must confess I couldn't wait until the end of the year to finish this book, and have read it all the way through already! However, this is a book most readers will read more than once, a lovely collection of ideas and inspirations one can turn to again and again.
This book would make a lovely gift, but do be sure to buy one for yourself. It is brilliant.
10 people found this helpful
on 28 January 2003
This book is wonderful! I recommend it to anyone wanting a good, optimistic and inspirational shove in the right direction!! The book breaks itself down in to the twelve months of the year and sub-categories within each month.It can be read beginning from any month of any year it is bought and then during each month after that; giving its reader something to feel good about each time it is opened. If you're feeling a little low, or would simply enjoy being reminded of the wonderful things everyday life has to offer...this is the book for you. The book is bound so beautifully in heavy paper with a 'textured, deckle edging' and ribbon marker, making it feel like an old Victorian book you'd love to find in your grandmother's attic. It is filled with quotes and beautiful phrase in addition to the author's own writing, bringing a smile to the reader's face instantly. Something to read when life seems too hectic and complicated....or a perfect gift for anybody, but especially a female. The 'vintage' sepia photographs in it 'put the icing on the cake'....This is the type of book I wish I'd written myself. I will be keeping this book and re-reading it every year. It's so beautiful that I'll be passing it down to my children....and perhaps my grandchildren!! I will certainly be buying more books by the same author....Sarah Ban Breathnach has really given me a great 'pick me up'.
16 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2004
This book is scrumptuous to read. It dwells on all the wonderful things of each season and sews them into your life. It reminds you of the beauty and importance of poetry, the magic of going on summer time picnics, the importance of change and adaptation in autumn and the cleansed feeling of a new year ahead of us in January. You can smell the recepies that she writes about, feel the fresh linen on the bed and feel the glowing feeling after being out all day on the beach and then showering and enjoy the food of a barbecue. It really does pamper the senses and thoughts. Next time you take a deep breath in, forget work, bills and every day druge and remember the romance in the oridinary things
8 people found this helpful
on 15 October 2014
A very inspiring collection of meditations grouped into seasons. I am so enthralled with Sarah's work that I have ordered several more of her books.
on 6 March 2010
I have read other books by this author and enjoyed them. This one takes you through the year with inspiring thoughts and things to do. Anything that makes life more interesting has got to be good. I loved it!
2 people found this helpful
on 6 February 2005
This book is fantastic! I read a little bit at a time while soaking in the bath with some yummy rose and lavender bath salts - pure indulgence. A great book for learning to treat and take care of yourself.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2009
All the usual truisms of look around you more and take time to study the beauty of our world blah blah blah which has been said a thousand times before so nothing new. Stopped reading at the moment when Ms Ban Breathnach was describing her visit to buy a sheep and felt the need to explain in brackets what a ewe is. Any connection I was making with the book was lost at that point. All a trifle patronizing actually.
4 people found this helpful