on 3 July 2002
I've tried various apporaches to the carbohydrate issue including Atkins and The Carbohydrates Addicts. I find this is the simplest to live by. I don't really think of myself as on a diet at all yet I've lost about 20 lbs as a side effect to my "radiant recovery". My mood, energy level and confusion all improved for the better within days. I've been working the program about 3 months. I haven't yet finished all the steps. But eating 3 meals a day with protein, concentrating on complex carbohydrates and that nightly potato really do make a trememdous difference.
22 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2006
I bought this book about 4 weeks ago just out of interest. At the time i was browsing for cookbooks and thought this book could answer some questions for other members of my family. When the book arrived i began to read it and i was struck straight away by the 10 questions in the intro. When i answered 9 out of 10 as a yes the message was clear!! I was hooked on the book and read it within a week. It was so informative and well written it made it easy to read and to even understand all the science regarding sugar sensitivity. As i sat there with an oversized chocolate bar on my lap this book was a huge wake up call. I never fully accepted or understood why i had a problem with eating sweets and sugar foods til reading this book. It moved me to tears with its accuracy and i felt it had been written directly for me as i sympathised with the scenarios and case studies throughout the book. It also contains recipes and tips from other sugar sensitives and more than a little humour to keep the subject from getting to intense and overwhelming. I have now been on the programme for 2 weeks and have already stopped having mid morning cravings. After trying several failed diets I feel i have finally found the key to my problems with weight gain. The book is extremely informative about sugar sensitivity but also helpful in overcoming it with a seven step plan that involves every day things. Its also a great confidence boost to realise its your brain chemistry calling you to the chocolate aisle in the supermarket rather than a lack of willpower. I have begun reading the book again but this time sticking a post it on all the useful pages, it has become my new bible and once you read it you'll want to take it everywhere!
on 15 October 2001
This development of the Potatoes Not Prozac plan is a life saver! Finally I can live my life as I want to, not shackled by the addiction to carbohydrates and sugar that was holding me back, without me even realising what it was.
Dr DesMaisons has found a way out of the maze, towards a more rewarding life than you could imagine possible!
By slowly and carefully working though the steps, you can change your brain chemistry to free you from depression, cravings and much much more.
Heal yourself through diet - get this book now!
on 30 December 2000
I started the program in October 1999 and have never looked back. It's a long process but I noticed positive changes quite early on and that encouraged me to continue. A year on I now feel energetic, calm, relaxed, optimistic and happy. Happy is not a feeling that I have ever really experienced before - and it's wonderful - radiance is what Dr DesMaisons calls it!
I've increased what I eat by about half, and at the same time have lost 2 stone - I'm never hungry, never overeat and haven't had a migraine for months. I've just had my first sugar (and alcohol) free Christmas and it was great!...
I owe an eternal debt of gratitude to Dr DesMaisons for showing me that it wasn't my fault, my body chemistry was the problem - and how easy it is to correct that and find a balance in my life.
on 1 January 2001
I was so excited when I learned that DesMaisons had written a sequel to her book. Potatoes not Prozac is my all time favourite; it was an answer to my problems and it honestly changed my life. Also, I really loved DesMaisons practical, "non-american" way of writing, simple truths, no extra blaa-blaa. What a dissapointment it was when i started reading the Total Recovery Program. The information is basicly still true and valuable, but why write another book if you have nothing new to say? If you read Potatoes don't get this one, it's a rip-off. If you didn't read the first one, read eather one (not both), you'll love them.
on 7 March 2008
Are you fed up of feeling bad on the inside? Do you suffer from depression? Addictions of any kind? PMS? Can't control your eating? Then this book is for you.

Be part of the growing number of people around the world who are changing their lives by implementing the straightforward dietary changes outlined in this book.

I love Kathleen DesMaisons' style of writing - she comes across as being very caring and genuine. There are plenty of hints and tips to get you started and a thriving online community to provide ongoing support. It is really helpful and there is no charge to join.

I used to eat compulsively and have no self-esteem. I was depressed, had horrific mood swings and zero confidence. After reading this book and changing what and when I eat I am now confident, calm, centred, feel happy and I haven't binged in nearly a year. That in itself is a miracle.

If this is your story too, then buy this book, you won't regret it.
on 29 October 2008
I had known I had problems with sugar for a very long time, but I could never stop myself. When I read the book, I was a little sceptical, I have to admit. The thought of giving up ALL sugars seemed impossible to me. Fast forward 5 months and I am sugar-free, calm, happy, focused and 2 stones lighter, WHAT JOY! It is so rare in this world to experience a life-changing moment, but this book will allow you to do exactly that - BUY IT, IT WORKS!!!
on 27 June 2009
I really wanted this book to work for me and to cure my 'sweet tooth' and binge eating. I found it difficult to accept that the range of symptoms described in the book could be attributable to the effects of sugar alone and the science did not convince me. I also became suspicious when the book started recommending a range of supplements and a protein powder that could be bought via their website. My skepticism prevented me from embracing the ideas and recommendations of the author who failed to win me over on this occasion. In the end "Overcoming Overeating: Conquer Your Obsession with Food Forever" by Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol H. Munter turned out to be my salvation. I still like my sweet treats but it transpired that my cravings for cakes and other sweet stuff was more psychological than physical.
on 29 April 2012
I have had this book for years and I can't recommend it enough. If you suffer from mood swings this could be the answer. I have hyper active insulin which results in highs and lows. Following this eating plan smoothed me out and I felt I could take on the world. IIf you get tired, bad tempered and then too happy, over sensitive to the world, insecure, etc etc this could help. It isn't just about weight this book. There are some scary american things in here like - get to know your vegetable lane in the supermarket. But if you ignore those bits it is great. Take it very slowly - it doesn't work over night. But my husband wanted to know if I was taking prozac or seeing a shrink as the effect was so dramatic - and NICE. No harm in trying? Good luck. (PS Potatoes not prozac is a much harder and technical read about the same subject).
on 18 February 2010
I enjoyed the science of sugar addiction and sugar sensitivity provided in this book. I found the profile of a sugar addict convincing and familiar. Many of the steps I can appreciate, but, the actual dietary recommendations do not do it for me. I'm a fan of REAL FOOD, not shakes, not powders, not working out what I can get at the nearest fast food joint etc so this part of the book seems really lacking. Also, having had a look on the website I do wonder if what's being offered here in the book and on the website is merely an addiction to the program to replace the addiction to sugar. Some people no doubt like to buy into an 'experience' rather than just a book but it seems too American to me and too commercial (the powders, shakes, supplements etc can all be bought from the author via the website).