Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 17 November 2008
The product description here does not do this magnificent collection justice - to lift and shift from the better description on the US Amazon:
"This special slipcased collection--weighing in at more than ten pounds with 600 pages and featuring almost 4,000 strips--takes readers behind the scenes and into the early days of Scott Adams's life pre-Dilbert and on to the success that followed when Dilbert became an internationally syndicated sensation.
Divided into five different epochs, Dilbert 2.0 gives readers a glance at some of Adams's earliest strips, like those created for Playboy, and a peek at an abundance of special content ranging from numerous rejection letters to Adams's first cartooning check, and more.
Adams personally selected the material for this collection and offers original comments and humorous asides throughout. Also included is a piracy-protected disc that contains every Dilbert comic strip to date and that can be updated as new cartoons are released"
This is a fantastic bit of work, worth the money just for the book, but to also get the disc with every single strip published to date is a real bonus. To those of us who endure an office based life, Scott Adams sees straight through the nonsense and produces cartoons that makes you wonder if he is sitting in on your Board meetings.
If you are a fan (and if not, why not?) then this collection is an absolute must.
18 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 30 January 2009
First of all, when you get your hands on this book you're greatly surprised. It is BIG and HEAVY. Very nice cover and very nice paper. It looks like the Britanica of Dilbert.

Second, there are a LOT of stories. For 3.5 weeks I'm reading every day and I've only read 450 pages so far. The bad thing is that when you read too many stories at once you miss a lot of the fun you'd have when reading 1 every day. This happens because you don't think of the stories a lot.

Third, between some stories there are some lines of commentary from S.Adams. This makes the book something far beyond the comic. Many (all?) aspects of the Dilbert comic are explained. How the characters evolved, how the comic evolved, why some sketches are different than the others etc. My favorites are the comments of stories where readers complained :-) As far as I understand there are some (few) unpublished (censored) stories too.

Forth, I've got two copies of this book, one for me and one for a friend of mine. We both loved it. About 3 weeks he found out that there is actually a DVD at the end of the book. Of course Amazon says so but I haven't noticed that until now.

As a conclusion: One of the greatest book buys I've ever done. Excellent, very funny, very nice book, great commentary. I don't believe I've ever got anything similar to that. I've paid 27.5£ but I'd say that this book would cost more than 50£ if I didn't knew the price. I don't believe there is a person in the world that would not like this book.

I suggest it to every Dilbert fun out there.
One person found this helpful
on 18 August 2016
I love Dilbert's view of the business world, so buying this was a no-brainer. A well presented history of the evolution of the Dilbert comic strip, Scott Adams is a genius!
on 7 October 2010
This is an amazing book that will please all Dilbert fans! It is very high quality and has some fascinating insights in to both the strips (a huge selection from 1989 - 2008) and the man behind them! If you like Dilbert you will love this book. it is large, imposing and superbly funny! When not being pawed by fawning admirers it sits proudly by my Farside and Calvin & Hobbs compendiums. Love it!
on 5 September 2017
I am a long time fan of Scott Adams and Dilbert comics. The book is of excellent quality and larger than what I expected. It gives you great introduction of how Scott started with Dilbert and his journey to becoming a full time writer.
on 3 January 2009
If you only ever own one Dilbert, make it this one.

Yes, it's a large hardcover volume so is a rather hefty 4 kg or so. But there is a lot of years (spread across several eras) worth of Dilbert and some background material too. If you're reading this you're probably already a fan of Dilbert. If you buy no other Dilbert, buy this one!
3 people found this helpful
on 22 June 2013
Spot on leaving gift for the boss at work. Absolutely fantastic. Beautifully presented, huge and heavy leather bound encyclopedia full of hilarious office related comics and some history, pluss a dvd, all in a case. Don't give it another thought.. Buy it!
on 3 October 2015
Clasdic and a cd with all the toons on it but this could be better indexed.
on 4 April 2014
Like the cartoons.
Self indulgent luxury item to be kept for life.
To be opened with clean hands only.
Much too expensive.
on 9 November 2012
I bought this as a gift and was well pleased. The book arrived ahead of schedule and in great condition. I had been watching the price of this item and it had reduced in price quite a lot so I bought it. Plenty of reading and great information about the author and the CD is an added bonus. A great present for a Dilbert fan.