on 29 December 2005
The popular website turns into the eponymous book. In an age where keepin up with popular cultural terms is becoming increasingly difficult, this book manages to capture as much breath as possible while remaining light-hearted enough to not represent itself as an authority. This careful balance makes it a winner. I would strongly recommend it as a gift for 'the person who has everything' as it makes for intriguing can't-take-your-hands-off-it reading. No coffee table is complete without it. Any journalist is naked without it. And maybe parents would enjoy it just for the sake of understanding what their children are actually saying. One, Money.
on 9 March 2015
What i mean by that? Well you simply don't get this book updated as the "thug niga lyfe" goes, so you might be short of some new phrases.
Otherwise good was in okay condition, i mean you're gonna read the book, that's it, if you're not fussu about scratches and stuff, it's handy to save a bit of money..
on 21 March 2014
I recently read a book by an American author, it made some reference to words and phrases which appear in here. Some of the slang and their translations are hilarious. The book was in good condition, exactly as described and very reasonably priced. Delivery was quick, overall pleased. I gave it 4 stars as it is not as up to date as the online version.
on 15 April 2016
Aaron Peckham is the founder of UrbanDictionary.com, and this book is his first compilation of the best of the best user-submitted words to join the site’s database. As such, it’s basically a physical dictionary for street slang, although it’s already kind of out of date.

It’s fun, just like the website is – I wouldn’t say that the words included here are actually the best of the best, but the author has at least weeded out most of the rubbish ones, even if he’s not really the author because all of the submissions were crowdsourced from the community.

Imagine, if you will, somebody hitting a big ‘random‘ button a couple of thousand times, logging all of the results that came up, and then alphabetising them and putting them into book form. That’s basically what we have here, and I’m not saying that that’s a bad thing. After all, isn’t a regular dictionary pretty much the same thing?

So yeah, buy this if you fancy a bit of a laugh and you’ve used the site before, or if you grew up using it like I did. Who knows? If you’re a regular user, you might even see your own definition in there. But the chances of that are pretty slim, seeing as there are so many words on the site and this book was published in 2005, so you’d need a historical entry to make the roster.

Still, it’s worth owning, if only to show to your (geeky) friends. For a bit of extra fun, claim that the book came out before the website and see if they buy it. And if you enjoy reading and flicking through it, then who knows? Perhaps you’ll even buy the sequel – I know I did! No idea if there was a third book though, I kind of lost interest after that. The gimmick only works for so long, and for different lengths of time for different people. Good luck, folks.
on 18 August 2010
I bought this for my father to help him understand my three teenage boys.

The boys speak in what seems like a foreign language and this book was the perfect translator.

My 71 year old father now has a much extended vocabulary which is hilarious!

A must buy!!
on 13 February 2013
I am 70 years old. I bought this so that I could keep up with my seven grandchildren and have text a few of the phrases to them. They were 'well' impressed. I am up and poppin' now. I recommend it to all grandparents especially if you are on facebook
on 13 January 2014
The actual product is brilliant, but it took ages for it to get sent then to get here so missed the date I wanted I for. Would not ever use this supplier again.
on 1 December 2009
I got this for a friend's birthday and she loves it, however it seems to have more American slang than British slang but it is very current.
on 4 December 2005
Nowadays no one speaks english any more, more of a highly complex mixture of widely used "urban" words to form comprehendable sentences. The words used can vary widely from different parts of the country and can easily be adapted to include many new words for new things and habits. Just listen to your average skate "dude" talk and you'll see how easy it is to adapt to using such words. But be warned, you may find yourself using these words and phrases, although this may not be a bad thing, it may lead to "the degeneration of society as we know it"! Now we couldn't have that could we... ;-)
on 29 May 2012
Bought this for my husband who decided he wanted to send emails to friends using "street" language. Unfortunately, this didn't really fit the bill and he was disapointed with it.