Format: Cards|Change

on 28 December 2009
I like this slightly quirky deck a lot. There is much to look at and the imagery really engages you and the borders continue the feel of the artwork without standing out. I have never been one for lots of detail and haven't scrutinised every card of this deck (yet) but I do know that the imagery, on the most, part coincides with the Rider-Waite, and provides an expanded and inspiring feel. It is dream-like and takes you away from the mundane whilst you read and provides you with new insights without having to think to much. It's good for beginners, but not as obvious as the Rider-Waite deck, although it does contain most of the Rider-Waite elements.

I think that the point people might complain about, is the perspective of the cards, in that the figures, and the backgrounds don't seem to be relative to each other but you can see everything going on in the cards very clearly and I think the wonky perspective is what gives this deck its charm and edge. Sometimes you can overlook the imagery, because you know the meaning in your head, but this deck makes you to look a little closer and its very enjoyable doing so!

The cards are standard sized, not too thin or thick and with a thin light laminate. Box with book and organza bag to put the cards in.
on 22 November 2009
I'm surprised that Barbara Moore lent her name to this deck by writing the book. The interpretations are pretty much the average, although the "use your intuition" questions after each card would be useful in a tarot class.

But the book is not the deck and the deck is the tool. As is increasingly common these days the deck is composed of manipulated images. I would say Photoshopped, but in this instance the artist has chosen Paint Shop Pro as her medium. The artists' acknowledgements section of the book first thanks the stock photographers whose work she has used, and much further down the page she thanks her models.

The deck fails, for me, because I can see, in part, what Ms Darras is doing: that is, I recognise the effects she's using and the knowledge of how each manipulation might have been achieved which detracts from the imagery, and occasionally destroys it (I'm thinking especially of the Ten of Cups - such a cheesy rainbow!). Secondly her actors don't necessarily fit the scene they're illustrating: either their facial expression is wrong or else they're obviously a photograph imported into the scene.

I like the idea of the moon appearing so often to emphasise the deck's title as the Mystic Dreamer Tarot, and the moon sits well in the scenes she visits, even though the blending between layers might not be perfect. Also of note is the fact that many more women are depicted than men, which may appeal to those in search of a more women-centred deck than we usually see.

The deck is bordered with a fake parchment border, which is the same on every card and takes up too much space, making the actual images of the cards too small for these tired old eyes. When I have to squint while wearing my reading glasses to actually make out details there's something wrong!

Although they only get a couple of lines each in the book, the deck does support reversals - looking at the back of the card you can't tell if it's upright or reversed.

This deck is a beautiful idea which has been not been fully realised. I hope Ms Darras returns to this deck and revises it: it could be wonderful...
on 21 February 2009
have only just acquired this deck and my inital thoughts were that yes the images are beautiful however, this deck suffers tremendously from the loss of detail that could easily have been resolved if the cards were that bit bigger. The accompanying book is informative and has a 'use your intution' section for each card and sadly it is only through that section that i realised a huge number of traditional tarot symbols are present and even when they were referred to i struggled to see or identify them. Though i'm not usually into photocollages it seems to work fairly well with this deck though some of the characters don't look that great and i found some of the court cards particularly unappealing. The cards are also quite flimsy though oddly this made me quite like the feel of them. On the whole though, the cards really do reflect their meaning very well and i think would work equally well for a beginner or more advanced reader.
on 28 July 2016
I bought the Fools Dog App of this and love the art work. After a while I decided I really wanted the physical deck to compare the cards and to handle them myself. The cards are good quality and the book is sufficiently informative. It all comes in a cardboard box but no organza bag as others have mentioned. This is the only deck that has really resonated with me and I have looked at a lot. I think the art work is gorgeous and the meanings are easy to get from the pictures which is ideal for a beginner like me
on 18 July 2009
Mystic Dreamer Tarot (Book & Cards)
When I first started to read tarot, a lesson to learn was to meditate upon a card interacting with the scene, well a lot of imagination/visualisation is used, Mystic Dreamer as made this exercise effortless as you look into the card they appear 3 - dimensional. The art work is of a very high if not excellent standard, I'm still getting to know this deck but so far Ive found it very easy and a pleasure to read with.Mystic Dreamer Tarot (Book & Cards)
Blessings Decia
on 25 July 2012
I bought this deck based on some of the reviews and I was somewhat disappointed. Some images of the cards I had seen online (not Amazon) had shown the cards to be amazing and I was drawn in by that. The cards are smaller than my usual deck (Mythic) and I found the images rather 'average' and nothing special. They are also computer generated pictures which is obvious. I also found there is the same imagery going through the deck which I find very annoying. Some of the cards are very busy, but overall I found the whole deck disappointing.
on 2 August 2012
I absolutely love this tarot deck! It is the first deck I have had that really 'gets' me!

I am very drawn to the pictures in it - it has a very dreamy quality to the deck and the moon is featured heavily in most pictures which is wonderful!

It really draws you into the deck and gets you feeling rather than thinking - you can interpret the cards well on an emotional level (well I can withthis deck) and I love the book with the detailed explainations of the cards - it also has questions for you to ask yourself when you look at the cards and it has different spreads you can use!

5 stars!!
on 6 June 2014
Really well packaged and sealed book with cards. Purchased for my friend's birthday and we sat just looking at each individual card and the amazing illustrations. You can get lost in those cards! May consider buying a set for myself. Taurus
on 29 December 2008
I usually use the Mythic tarot deck but was looking to try out something a little different. The Mythic Dreamer deck is beautiful, the images are collaged to incorporate all the different aspects of each card, and every one is uniquely illustrated using graphic art. The book is also excellent, it gives a lot of detail about different spreads and interpretations and the descriptions for each card are easy to follow. There are also questions posed for each card to help you begin thinking about the images and your own intuition. The only reason I havn't given the deck 5 stars is that the images are photographic (something I'm not fond of anyway) and on a handful of the cards they are too realistic and don't quite blend in with the background. To be honest though, it's probably only noticeable if you are studying the cards or if your eyesight is excellent! I would recommend this for anyone who is just beginning to work with tarot, or to anyone like me, who is looking to explore a bit further.
on 5 July 2012
I ordered these cards and had been looking forward to receiving them for ages as the photos on the internet looked stunning...BUT...what a let down!

The cards are very cheap looking and the imagery looks very amateurish. Nothing like the stunning photos on the internet.

I dont think I will be using these cards at all.