on 21 October 2013
I read the very-popular 'Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner' before reading this, and I MUCH prefer Wicca for Beginners. The writing is much more down to earth and not nearly as fluffy or ~ ~ ~ spiritual ~ ~ ~ which I find irritating. I am skeptical by nature, and have been an atheist a significant portion of my life. While I don't think I will be joining any Wiccan covens, I still very much enjoyed this book and found it very educating and enlightening. It's a great blend of lore/information and more practical guides on learning the basics of Wiccan witchcraft (grounding, circles, etc). I'm very glad I bought it, but my search for spirituality continues :)
on 16 February 2015
A+
on 11 November 2014
arrived very quickly. I am enjoying this book and learning a lot from it.
on 14 June 2010
This was the first book I bought with relation to looking into wicca, I was new to the path and needed a place to start. This book is exactly that. Thea sabin writes in a style that leaves the reader at ease, Thea also successfully writes an unbiased obinion on what is wicca, and how to get on your chosen path,with many examples of simple excercises,rites and where to go next (recomended reading) I find this book invaluable in my wicca/pagan libary, and love referring back to it.
I would definately recomend this book to anyone who wishes to know about wicca, however i would also recomend other books as this is not the be all and end all of wicca books,
if you are looking for a place to start, then this is definatly a book for you, if you wish to have a book that tells you everything you need to know then, sorry but you will never find such a book, (no matter what the authors may claim).
on 25 October 2010
I wanted a book that would give me a basic but detailed intro to Wicca,this book did just that, it was really clear and you don't get bogged down with loads of heavy reading,it's also written with a sense of humour. The author hasn't tried to force any of her own views or opinions on you and stuck to the facts. If your just getting interested in Wicca and just want to know the fundamentals and if it is the right path for you, then this is a really good book to start with. Looking forward to more of her books.
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2007
I picked this book up thinking it would just gloss over the deeper philosophical beliefs in Wicca, but in fact the book discussed them accurately, clearly and got down to the nitty gritty of Wicca with ease, and somewhat importantly, all with a sense of humour! The author wrote her book in a very personable style and I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has ever felt a little irritated by the narrative style of some writers. Ms Sabin's wit is what makes this book one that I could not put down; the book taught me many things that I did not know before, and cleared up a great deal that I wasn't even aware I was confused about! Now, that's helpful writing! The writer clearly loves her path and this really comes through in the writing, learning from someone enthusiastic is always pleasant.

Sabin discusses ritual in great detail and how one goes about constructing their own, the tools used in ritual, there is also much focus upon trance, meditation, building a sacred space and grounding -- where she provides example exercises in which to use. These were invaluable and I believe focusing on these basic skills makes for an extremely important and solid basis for performing rituals. She also provides a nice ritual where one can introduce themselves to the gods; the book is evidently geared towards beginners and I think this book makes for an outstanding, clear and concise non-fluffy book in which to start ones study. Equally, there is much information here that a more advanced person can learn from too! I appreciated the beginning chapter which discussed the 'what is a Pagan/Witch/etc' debate which often is not mentioned in these types of books. Very useful indeed. So beginner or not, buy this book it's an excellent read.
22 Comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2013
If you would like an introduction to Wicca, this is the book to read. Informative and concise, Sabin takes your through Wicca in a logical manner, progressing at appropriate stages. Even more so, this books has an extensive reading list that doesn't leave you clueless after the book. Thank you Sabin for this marvellous introduction to Wicca.
Whilst dating a girl who's really into Wicca, I wanted to know all about it without being confused or feeling like I was being patronised.
This book conveyed everything I needed to know without bogging me down with extraneous information.

I don't know what more a book like this is supposed to do. It did its job admirably.
on 12 March 2010
Fantastic for beginners lets you know the basic in a very easy and simple way to read and understand. Also pages at the end gives a list of books to help make the next step. Also helps to see what to do next
on 15 March 2012
Yes its a good book and well written with great editing. Professional and well researched by the writer just its by llewellyn who do tend to pump out the same old same old. 4 stars but more like three and a half. I would recommend it to a new pagan but it would be about third on my own personal like lists.