Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2005
'A Wildwitch seeks to honour the land on which they live, experiencing life as an endless circling dance or enchantment and devotion, finding magic in the mundane and inspiration in the midst of modern existence.' Poppy Palin
What a delightful new exploration in the midst of so many 'how to be a witch' books that have hit the market. This is a natural and honest exploration of the inner realms. Pomp and ceremony has been excluded (although a little guidance on creating magical ceremony is offered) as has any allusion to hierarchical mystery, and yet all the delight of natural magic and mystery is retained. Here is a book for beginners and the more experienced alike. Although written for adults, this is a book that you would be thrilled (rather than nervous or dubious) for your children to read on their spiritual path.
Craft of the Wild Witch manages to be both grounded and spiritual, being rooted in the poetry of the Earth. Thankfully, for the more eclectic witches among us, there are no Wiccan structures to adhere to. Moon phases, divination and the Sabbats are covered but even these more exhausted subjects are given a fresh slant with Poppy's poetic descriptions. Guidance on spellworking is offered in a way that I found to be more in tune with natural laws and less prescriptive than many other texts. The author takes us on trance journeys (guided visualisations) as well as detailing some of the various reasons for feeling the need to do this. The journeys provided take us to meet Green Jack, Moon Mother, our Spirit Guides, our Otherworld Self and to connect with the strength of trees. Thus, the necessary is covered as well as some more original journeys that I haven't seen elsewhere. There is also a valuable section on safe journeying and checking the validity of guides before welcoming them wholeheartedly into your life.
A review at the end of each chapter is a very helpful feature of this book, although I would have liked to see an index too.
This is a truly soulful book with a holistic un-adorned approach to witchcraft. It is delicately subjective in the way that Ms Palin blends ethos and practice with personal experience. Craft of the Wild Witch is not only a 'how to' book but a 'how to feel' book as the author's genuine connection to spirit and nature is thoroughly infectious!
Why only 4 stars? Because I'm a perfectionist! Also, Poppy Palin's books just keep getting better so I have to leave room for her future work...!
on 3 January 2005
This is a book for the experienced practitioner as well as for the beginner. In a lovely and very poetic way the author gives us a multitude of new ideas, rituals, journeys, meditations - especially for those who think there's nothing new published in this area within the last years. This book has given me (a practicing witch since 20 years now) many, many new wonderful insights and is a true eye-opener for those who seek to experience the fey kingdom. The beautiful warm and caring way in which the author shows you how to make your very own unique experiences is, IMHO, absolutely highly recommendable for all those interested to walk the green way off the beaten track. A must-have for all you witches out there! My heartfelt thanks to the author for this brilliant book!
on 11 August 2006
From the first chapter i was hooked, it was like everything i had thoughts on.

I didn't so much as read the book as "felt" it from cover to cover, it has acted as an inspiration to me working with nature.

Poppy has a wonderfully lyrical nature which comes through in all her books, she also does not precribe how things should be done and appreciates that any craft working with nature should reflect the fluidity of nature and nature spirits.

A wonderful guide
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2008
I truly love and adore this book. It was such a wonderful surprise to actually want to not only keep the book itself for its inherent beauty but also to apply the work within it to my life and practice!

'Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality and Natural Enchantment' by Poppy Palin is a rain-soaked trudge through the woods it's a pleasant breeze in the afternoon sun and it's Robin Red-breast flitting around your garden. It's all these things and more. What Craft of the 'Wild Witch' is, is a no nonsense earthy manual to living life the green way, living life in eternal reverence with nature and all its vibrant inhabitance. Palin writes in a lovely ethereal yet down to earth sense; she uses the language of the earth to poetically express the feeling of connection to the land we live on.

The book covers the following topics: green magic, navigating the Otherworld, creating your own meditation spot in the Otherworld, spirit guides, connecting to the land and herbalism. Each topic is written about in a fun and fresh manner; indeed if you only take one thing away from this book it should be that the earth and everything in it is alive and brimming with glorious exuberant life.

Palin has combined a nice blend of Shamanic practices with folk magic and some aspects inherent in traditional witchcraft. She doesn't believe in gods and instead is firmly animistic in outlook -- believing that everything holds within it a life force, a soul or spirit. I'm also an animist but I'm also a polytheist! But her chapters on Jack in the Green and Moon Mother were interesting to me as well as her reasons for her spiritual world view. The whole book has helped give me a focus for my practice and has shown me what's important -- whilst it can be a little neo-pagan here and there, and the stuff on chakras and circle casting really wasn't needed or suitable it's a valuable, imperfect tool for those willing to step into the green.
on 11 March 2007
When I first started reading this book I found it very difficult to get into. It is written in a VERY poetic way, and it seemed to me to be a bit up it's own bum. I have gotten into it more now and I'm really enjoying it, though I do feel like I have to take the whole thing with a pinch of salt and let myself be swept away with the words. If you think you'd enjoy a book written in this way it would be good for you, but maybe not so good for those wanting something more down to earth and practical.
on 10 June 2007
This was the first of Poppy Palin's books that I have read and I have to say that as soon as I started reading I loved it. Poppy has such a beautiful way with words and I found renewed inspiration for my path. This book is quite different to most "how to" pagan/ witchcraft book and it is so refreshing to read someone who dares to be different. She writes with a true understanding, empathy and passion. A beautiful, beautiful book. Thankyou for writing it.
on 31 December 2007
I haven't read it all yet but had to write about how impressed I am with it. Instead of "do this" and "do that" the books talks in words of beauty and feeling that fills that missing connection between the idea of living wicca and actually LIVING wicca. Without all the ceremonial clap trap, it inspiries and naturally gives you the right push in the right direction of being a Wild Witch!
on 30 December 2011
One of my favourite witchy books. I first read it in a remote cottage in the wilds and was taken on a journey into the wild in its pages. When I feel like escaping for a bit into the pages of a book that can conjure magic on the page, this is the one I often turn to first. Maybe it's not the most practical, but it's certainly one of the most inspirational, and if there's one subject where feelings should count more than facts, surely it's magic?
on 10 April 2015
Very disappointed...
Lot of "filler sentences" without making any point.
on 5 August 2014