on 17 February 2004
I bought this book and just couldn't put it down. It has so many quick and easy tips and is massively practical.
The writers' style is warm, welcoming, easy and personal. You actually feel as if you are sitting in their class or at the end of a phone talking to them.
The information is accessible and easy to understand and apply. The fact that the book is divided up into different sections including Decks; Interpretation & Meaning; Reading Techniques; Spreads; Other Things You Can Do With Tarot and Ethics makes it incredibly easy to get great value from it quickly.
Even as a fairly experienced reader I picked up so many really useful tips. I would recommend this book to all Tarot enthusiasts. (The Tarot School story was a fascinating Appendix.)
on 6 August 2008
I am a tarot beginner and bought this book because it sounded as if it would offer simple and practical advice that is easy to understand. And it did to some extend; I liked the author's emphasis on trusting your own intuition and involving the querent in the reading rather than ridgidly following textbook interpretations and meanings.
However, this book is not really a teaching guide, it's basically a collection from a website where people (often experienced tarot readers) asked questions and the author gave an answer. Some of these questions were too advanced for me and were referring to subjects I had no knowledge of. Therefore the answers were not always useful too me and at times too technical and not extensive enough to make sense to me as a beginner.
If you are a novice like me and want to learn a use tarot, I would advice to buy a book that is specifically aimed at the beginner, you will probably get more out of it.
I will still keep this book and hopefully as I get a better understanding of the tarot, some sections of this book will become more useful to me.
on 11 August 2008
If you have a fascination for the Tarot then this book is a must for your bookshelf! As a beginner I have read through it once but know that I will both re-read it and use it for reference in the future. The content is aimed more at the serious student but as with many Tarot books does not alienate the beginner like myself and does increase interest in the subject. A well deserved 5 stars!
on 21 August 2010
I gave this book 5 star for only one reason.
Yes, tips are good and so on.
But after this book I couldn't remember single tip, but I realised just 1 and most important tip - THERE IS NO SINGLE CORRECT MEANING OF CARD, THERE IS NO CORRECT SPREADS- EVERYTHING IS ENTIRELY UP TO YOU HOW TO SPREAD AND HOW TO READ CARDS.
And all 78 tips are just confirmation to this one truth - listen to yourself and break all the limits, dogmas, patterns - READ CARDS how you feel, not like other "gurus" tell you.
Since I put more trust in my intuition and my cards, my readings got much stronger.
5 stars for this book. Important is not what's in the book, but what you remember and integrate afterwards.
on 17 April 2009
Excellent book for anyone studying the tarot. Not for beginners really though as it contains so definitions etc, an excellent addition for intermediate and advanced readers though. I loved it.
on 6 July 2010
This book is brilliant for tarot readers, both experienced and beginners as it gives the meaning of each tarot card and samples for readings.
on 27 February 2014
Many useful tips included in this book and many questions answered in a clear and precise manner. A useful tool for every tarot reader.
on 12 August 2015
Interesting at the time, but my interest in Tarot has waned.
on 21 August 2010
This is not a book by Mary K. Greer, only the foreword.
Some interesting tips but it isn't a must read book.
I find amusing how they try to abstract from "Religious" themes but they are present many times ... do they notice it?