on 10 April 2016
When my husband died suddenly and unexpectedly, I desperately needed to find something that would help me to try and understand the unknown emotions, and, what I felt at the time, the completely irrational behaviour that I displayed.

I wish I had read this book in the first few months after losing my husband. I read many other books all of which were informative and many were of great help, this one however, seemed more personal and more relative to me. If you are reading these reviews then I presume that you are in a similar situation to how I found myself or are trying to support a friend or family member at a most difficult time, I would highly recommend this book.

This book, as others have quoted “told it like it is”, and put into words exactly how I felt. To read that someone else (and many others) had, and were still experiencing the same or similar feelings of total bewilderment as I was, made me feel reassured that I was not going out of my mind.

This can be a long and lonely process as no one else can make the journey for you. It is, as I now know, different for everyone. But any help, advice and the level of understanding gained from reading other's experiences can help give you encouragement to know that you can survive it.
on 15 June 2013
Have started to read this book and was immediately struck on how everything I was thinking was put on paper by someone else. Makes you feel in the madness of grief you aren't mad and you are certainly not alone. Thank you author
on 17 March 2017
Great book to dip in and out of. Like having a knowledgeable friend to help.
on 10 May 2011
To be highly recommended.
Having struggled through the paperwork and all the other ends that needed tying in the first 7-8 months after losing my husband, I suddenly found myself with enough time on my hands to let me worry about myself and my future. The automatic pilot was starting to have a rest. I chose this book having read through the reviews for many similar books - I can't speak for the others - but I did feel this book was a help to me. It had me crying and encouraged me to feel again. It offered me an understanding into what was going on, and most importantly has helped me in the search for courage to face my future. Originally written for the US market, it does have some references that are irrelevant to life in the UK, but they are minor and should not put you off buying this book. Mention is made throughout of widowers, but I presume the majority of readers are widows, certainly the majority of case studies are widows.
The book was certainly useful to me even after 8 months had passed, but I can imagine it would be even better earlier on in the grieving period.
On a last note, if you're checking this review then chances are you are facing a terrible time in your life. I wish you strength to make it through, and courage to start to live again.
on 16 May 2017
Made me realise I am not alone in my feelings at the most traumatic time of my life. Nobody knows what you are going through other than other widows, or widowers.
on 18 November 2010
Widow to Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas for Rebuilding Your Life

This book is uncannily accurate in how one feels and has some great advice on how to deal with each situation that arises.
on 25 March 2001
When my husband died I tried to find a book that would help. I tried a few but this book was the only one that told it like it is. It put into words exactly how I felt. I realised what I was feeling was quite normal and that I was not going out of my mind.
on 13 February 2010
A must read for every widow. Makes you realise that you are not the only woman experiencing certain thoughts and feelings.
on 9 December 2013
I bought this for my recently widowed aunt (who is in her late 80s). When it arrived, I had a flick through it and realised that giving it to her would cause her more problems than it would solve. It has been aimed at a much younger age group - hence there's talk of dating, sex, exercise etc. which are totally inappropriate for a woman of her generation who has limited mobility. The section on whether to wear the wedding ring or not I know would cause her offense. She had been married for over 60 years and would not consider taking off her ring. I may have been unfair giving this book 3 stars, but would urge any other potential buyers to avoid this if they're buying it for someone over a certain age.
on 19 April 1998
I was given this book by my sister-in-law I had never met, on the death of my husband, who had committed suicide at age 46. It was the most thoughtful thing that anyone did! It gave me such insight into what I was going through (the "crazies"), and what to expect and hope for, as well as telling me that all I was going through was normal. Every widow should be handed this book at the funeral home to take straight home! Lots of resources listed to get help, from financial to support groups. A definite book to have on hand!