Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2011
I have been looking for a book to give me some information on using a Heart Rate Monitor.

By doing a search on Amazon in the UK, I found no-one had yet reviewed it, so I checked the American website and the review comments there were favourable. I then decided to take the plunge and buy it.

Since getting it, I have since been pleased with it. The book is in reasonably understandable form to exercise numbskulls such as me.

It starts with what a monitor is for, what problems you may have from it (such as incorrect readings due to electrical interference) and then how to use it in a variety of exercise situations.

Heart Monitors can benefit in sports where you exercise aerobically (i.e. so you have enough air in your lungs to talk!) and not getting heavily out of breath. Sports such as football (soccer in the book) are not really applicable, as there is a lot of sprinting involved, and your monitor would be always trying to catch up with your body. Since I run a variety of distances - largest being Half Marathons - a Heart Rate Monitor is of value to me.

I wanted a book which would give me some scientific basis for training to improve my overall performance. A Heart Rate Monitor gives you feedback on what your body is doing so you can apply some science !

The importance of determining your maximum heart rate, and then setting training zones to get the best out of yourself, is stressed. There is no gain, without pain, is the essential message of this book if you want to be an athelete. If you are happy jogging just to keep fit, without breaking world records, then this book is also for you.

There are good sections on training schedules for Rowing, Swimming, Cross Country Skiing as well as Walking and Running. The Running chapter includes a training plan for 5km , 10km,, Half and Full marathons. It also has a plan for people who do not want to race, but want to keep fit and trim.

I feel that this book has helped me understand how a Heart Monitor will help me in setting a training schedule for my particular sport. I would recommend it.
on 18 May 2012
I have got the kindle version. The instructions and descriptions are clear and concise and easy to follow. What I liked was the examples relating to a runner or cyclist (they approach the training zones given differently) - these really clarified the point being discussed. Dipping in to a section is fine too as long as you read enough of the introduction pieces. I would say that the kindle version's figures/tables are a little on the small side for my eyes (increasing the font size made no difference) but still I'd recommend this book.
Something the authors didn't cover (unless I missed it) is what heart beat to run at in competition. For example, speed and power work is carried out @95% for short durations (shorter than races) so that begs the question what % to run at for say 10k? This is left for us to decide and or to discover. Part of the fun of sport running!
on 20 December 2014
This book has given me an astonishing revelation. In order to run faster, you have to train slower!! Sounds odd doesn't it, and goes against all my natural instincts, which is that to improve pace you need to train fast. Well that is true, but you first need a solid base. That's where the slow training comes in, because you need to improve your aerobic fitness. The book explains this clearly, and the structure leads you first through building up a good base, on which to build your speed. If you're relatively new to running and wish to run faster, do not skip the initial chapters.
Running by heart rate makes perfect sense, because it allows your body to tell you exactly what load it's under, it's the perfect indicator of intensity level.

I liked the description of physiological changes which need to happen in your body, to make it run faster. It pretty much agrees with other advice I've heard elsewhere. The suggested training plans are good, and if you have a GPS watch which allows workout routines to be programmed, then setting up sessions based on heart rate zones could not be simpler.
The book explains the difference between how the body's aerobic and anaerobic energy systems are fuelled, and under what conditions the two are used during excercise.

For now I've stopped doing tough interval workouts, and concentrating on tuning up my aerobic system, which I expect to take several weeks. Then I will get back to higher level speed training, and I'm fully confident that I'll see some improvements in my pace.
on 11 May 2014
Great book has helped me find my real max heart rate. I am in training for an ultra and my training plan has changed to included hart rate based training. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in training for almost all endurance sports.
on 11 March 2014
Very detailed and informative book. highly recommended. Like having a personal coach. If you want to get the most out of your heart monitor, buy this book.
on 22 March 2013
Bought this to learn some of the theory behind Polar RCX5 HRM usage.
Excellent - accessible and easy to follow
on 5 July 2012
An interesting and well presented book. A must read for those seeking to improve their fitness in their chosen sport. I would recomend this book to anyone of any age.
on 17 September 2014
All makes sense and is guiding my training. Starting to see some results in my running in 3 weeks
on 19 July 2015
Owned a HRM for years and used it to record HR during training but never used the data. This book is detailed but allows you to understand how to make use of the data to benefit your training routines. Not, as suggested elsewhere, limited to a particular HRM. Excellent book.
on 15 August 2015
All you need to know about heart rate training is in the book including details of the science behind how it works. Whilst it's not a light read if you're considering HR training its worth the effort.