TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2011
As a neophyte, I enjoyed thus book. It was just what I was hoping for. Before receiving the book, the nearest I had come to archery instruction was the odd Robin Hood film, some very odd indeed but this seemed just what Robin himself might have read somewhere in the depths of Sherwood, although I am not sure he would have recognised some of the bows described.

It is a step-by-step guide to beginner's archery and, if along the way, the wrong step is taken, there is a section on spotting and curing the typical faults. The illustrations are not what I have become used to in some expensive golf books by the top players who use very fast, motion-stopping cameras but, since the motions are not very fast (arrow excluded), there is no reason for anything other than the effective line-drawings it has.

If what readers are looking for is a book to take them through the basics of beginners archery in sensible, well-described stages, this is the book for them. (It also cured me of the Robin Hood impersonations!) Recommended.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 May 2011
I have just started out learning archery, and have found this book an excellent buy - it takes you through the fundamentals, the equipment you will need, basic posture and skills/habits, and leads on to evaluation and refinement of technique for the more experienced archer.
I think it is well written, well illustrated, very easy to follow, and I find the coaches at my archery club echoing key points mentioned in the book (and vice versa), so it is very much complementary to the training I am receiving.
I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting a good practical and theoretical grounding in the sport, and I can see myself dipping in to it for a long time to come.
on 16 October 2013
Seriously chuffed to have bought this book for my daughter. She is very much into her child's archery set, but we wanted to test out her ambition and give her some direction, prior to taking up membership at a local club.

Dead handy reference book for relatively clueless parents to understand the main differences between types of bow, of gear and of archery, and also to give a good overview of the sport's history and modern variations.

Daughter was well chuffed with getting the book for her birthday!
on 12 November 2012
I'm totally new to recurve archery and am doing lessons at the local adult education centre. These are great but the group is big and the equipment pretty, let's say, basic.

This American book assumes that you have access to a half decent bow but even without that luxury it helps the user to establish the core essentials. Effective archery is based on developing 'good form' through repetition, repetition, consistency and, more than that, consistency. This could be pretty boring but Haywood and her co-author do a great job in explaining why consistency is so vital and in providing exercises and drills to get you there. They also take a useful look at the bells & whistles that come later, once good form has been developed - sights, stabilisation and so forth. They also take the reader forward into the realms of technique refinement, but it's the basics that so far, for me, prove the worth of this title.

I appreciate that many people do not learn practical skills effectively from books, but you're reading this so I assume that you are open to this form of education / instruction and I have to say that, for me, it perfectly complements the weekly hour-long sessions of shooting. Any American-ness is not intrusive and in any case archery is a sport without boundaries. (I should mention that the principles covered apply as much to compound bow shooting and the illustations balance recurve and compound types.)
on 26 May 2013
This is a great book for a novice or a more experienced archer. It covers both the equipment, set up and shooting of a Recurve and Compound bow in detail, and also the most important elements of shooting. For me there was a little too much focus on equipment setup which is very important, and set up of compound bows when the cover gave the impression it was a Recurve archery book, but aside from that the information is excellent and in covered in fine detail for both types of target archery bows.

Very good overall
on 1 May 2012
Its rare to find a book with such care and devotion taken over its writing and illistration. Its a winning combination for those who are complete beginners to archery (ie: me) and i'm sure also for those much further down the line.
If one were to follow the steps this books takes you through its basically a course in its own right.
I am currenly partisapating in a beginners archery course and am glad i have such a book to read between classes. The instructions, as well as tips and tricks are highly accurate, simply explained and throughly enjoyable to read. And there is so much detail and information that i will continue reading this long after my course has finished to perfect my skills.
An easy 5 stars.
on 16 June 2013
This book is my first instruction sports book and I found the science and techniques behind the sport to be very easily explained. It tells all you need to know through pictures, graphs and detailed information on the science and skills of archery. Some of the content was second nature to me thanks to my background in science and engineering. One day I will take these skills to participate in national and international tournaments. This book can help you make a career out of archery if you really put the work and effort into it.
One person found this helpful
on 26 June 2013
If you want good information clearly presented, then this is the book to start archery with. It covers all types of ows you might encounter as a beginner, how to look after it, and most importantly how to shoot properly. A very clear and well presented guide.
One person found this helpful
on 9 January 2013
buy this before you buy a bow! I almost spent 300 quid on the wrong one - I'm left eye dominant but right handed, a bad combination that requires a left-hand bow. this book covers everything and is essential
on 27 February 2017