Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 May 2017
I love this. Remember reading it when I was 9 in 1970. I have got the film, and I have read the book many years ago! To my surprise, the story is darker and fuller in this version then the one I read, and this makes it all the more interesting, One actually gets to read about the lands surrounding Oz, which is a bonus.

If there is a moral in the story, it should be that good will triumph over evil. The other thing, is that when everybody helps one another, they will get repaid in some way.

It should be noted that the first edition was written in the year 1900, and this is a brave attempt by Mr Baum to write about Fantasy. By all the laws he has succeeded, particularly as it gets increasingly clear that Oz is not what he appears to be. Perhaps another warning of the story is "Don't believe all you hear". However, both film and book are timeless classics, This takes pride of place on my bookshelf. I am a collector!
on 12 May 2017
Thank you to Netgalley for letting me download The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.
One of my Favourites when I was a child. I've always loved this book and the film. So, I downloaded this book and I sat in my garden with a coffee today reading one of my favourites again.
So, who's too old at 47? to go back into to Dorothy's world and following the yellow-brick road to the Emerald City, Meeting the Wicked Witch of the West and then with the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman and the Cowardly Lion.......

Still a fab book for any age.......
on 24 April 2017
The reviews and description do not match the product I bought. A real shame as bought for special birthday for my sister and from the cost and reviews I was expecting something really special. What turned up was a paperback with photocopied pages. No pop up. Very disappointing- and not worth the money. I would have been better off getting a second hand from a charity shop.
on 1 February 2014
Overall I would definitely say the book was worth the money. My one disappointment was that this was brought for a little girl who adores the story of Wizard of Oz (lost count as to how many times she's seen the film) but in this book Dorothy's shoes are not red!
Now that doesn't change much - there's still a happy ending,but it didn't impress the little girl in question. Other than that excellent book excellent service.
on 1 April 2017
This is the most amazing book. The pop ups are spectacular and amazing. I found this in the university library where I am studying and just had to have a copy
on 21 May 2017
Why does it say it's a pop up version in the description when it isn't? And where's the free glasses for you that was mentioned?
I'm disappointed
on 21 March 2012
This was bought as a Christmas present for my daughter, she is not old enough to appreciate it fully yet but I love it! It is beautifully illustrated, and the music really captures her attention on each page. I agree that the reading ability is more 8 years plus, but don't let that put you off as the illustrations & music will capture even the smallest imagination while you read this classic story to them. I would absolutely recommend purchasing this. Fabulous!
on 24 October 2013
I have high expectations of products about the Wizard of Oz and this did not fail me. The book is robust, the pop ups are robust(for a pop up), the sounds are brilliant. My daughter would not have been able to read this herself (aged 5) but I love reading books to her and this took it to another level. Very impressed.
on 23 December 2014
I was a bit disappointed to be honest as the sound is quite faint and I bought it for my 3 year old granddaughter for Christmas and the way it is written is a bit too old for her. The sounds are not that exciting either, with a dog barking and a not very scary witch cackle
on 5 September 2013
I purchased this for my 3 year old daughter and she absolutely loved it, with the pop up sections and the sounds, it made the story more fun for her. she loves the film, so hence why I purchased this for her.

Would recommend this nearly for any age group!