on 19 August 1999
If you want to learn how to do things with Enterprise Manager it's great. However is has severe shortcomings on replication and full text search. Most of the info you need to pass their sample tests and exams require other documentation. The best book for that is Books Online or MS SQL Training Kit.
on 15 December 1999
I've just passed my 070-028 exam. The book hasn't helped me in any way... I passed only because I'm already MCP+I, MCSE, CCNA and Network+ certified, so my experience is wide. The book focuses near only Enterprise Manager, it doesn't meet requirement needed to pass the exam without both hartbeat and good luck, and it isn't able to help you in the real word in any way. For example, in the test I encountered only one question about MTS, while in the book you can read "MTS will be tested in deep...". The same is for BPC utility, and so on... The MS exam is another thing. I'm an old New Riders' buyer, but I have to say this book isn't a good realization.
on 15 December 2000
I used this book as a backup to the MS Press Online Study Guide and found myself referring to it quite often.
All of the exam objectives are covered in a logical progression which I found useful.
I don't agree with the criticism that this book only covers Enterprise Manager - it does show the equivalent TSQL commands for most operations. The exam (70-028) didn't focus that heavily on TSQL anyway.
Overall I found this book to be as good as the others in the MCSE series that I used last year.
And best of all I passed the exam this week.
on 20 July 1999
This is still one of the best books on SQL Admin. It combines easy readability with succint coverage of virtually all you need to know for the exam. The CD is also packed with assorted practice materials. Definitely worth its weight in gold! Thank you, the authors, for taking time to write this great book.
on 16 September 1999
This book is very much a last minute refresher book. It is very superficial in key areas of the exam and without considerable background from more substantial texts is of little use. If you don't know the subject in great detail don't bother with this one - it is not a fast track.
on 30 June 1999
The book is packed with excellent excercises are plenty of practice tests. I think this book with Transcenders should certainly do the trick.