Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 March 2014
I have been using Visual basic as a means of keeping my mind active as I get older. Have found that books written by this author are easily understood so although I have tried other authors but always return.
on 21 April 2015
I bought this book in the hope that it would overcome the failure of the Print Text Project of Chapter 17 of the 2010 version to run in Visual Studio 2013, as this had a method I needed. It doesn't. Halvorson copes with this problem by shirking it! All reference to printing has been omitted in the 2013 edition.
It becomes clear that the primary objective with this book is to show just how clever Microsoft is rather than to provide useful guidance.
on 10 November 2014
This book is not very well named. It is almost purely about Windows Store programming and it repeats the same things over and over again. It is obviously meant to be part 2 for the "Start here!"-book. One example is that we have here a 700-page book about Visual Basic that doesn't have anything (according to index) about delegates. It also uses _a lot_ of space for explaining how to create a new project. It is ok if you state it once, but I'd guess it is explained like maybe 50 times thru the book. And when we are in part 2 of a book series, that is really not ok to underestimate the readers like that.

I can't give this a final rating yet, because I've read only the first 397 pages so far, but I have to say that "Beginning Visual C# 2012 Programming" was better by a mile. Sure, different language, but judging by the structure / writing style of the book.

Now the key here is that I can't recommend any other VB.Net 2013 book either, so if you want one, this might be it, but you have been warned.
on 13 May 2014
Book barely covers anything and for the most part, teaches weasel ways rather than showing how to actually code data objects and the like. Just use msdn and other online guides
on 25 July 2015
The book I needed to get started with VB 2013. Great support
on 30 August 2014
Good text, a bit hard going compared to Wrox books.
on 12 November 2014
great film and bargain worth every penny
on 8 October 2015
Great quality and a great price
on 24 October 2014
very informative. good book.
on 18 July 2015