on 1 August 2013
The book covers the subject well enough but I find it badly written. I am only at chapter 3 describing LINQ to objects. There have been quite a few annoying paragraphs so far but finally I got to one that made me come online and write this review. They are trying to explain the group joins and here is how they do it: "You can think about this operator (GroupJoin) like a SELECT ... FOR XML AUTO query in Transact-SQL. In fact it returns results hierarchically grouped like a set of XML nodes nested within their parent nodes, similar to the default result of a FOR XML AUTO query". I am sure there are many developers with a lot of XML query experience but I am not one of them, just a basic understanding of XML. As far as I am concerned, it's rubbish. At least they cover the subject, but badly.
on 20 May 2012
This is my "goto" reference for all things LINQ. Its coverage is extensive and the section on LINQ to XML is worth the price on its own. An easy to read text and constant reference.