on 7 April 2011
I read a comment pointing out that the book is too 'simplistic', and so it is. But, for the serious user of Access, there are other books which treat the subject in much greater depth. I certainly use Access regularly, for keeping track of a (large) collection of DVD titles - this is a flat database that could have been held in Excel, I suppose - the others apply to my (perhaps larger) music collection, this being a relational database. I find the 'Step by Step' books to be easy to follow, and useful up to a point. You have to bear in mind that the books are written to cater for those who just need to learn about something, but not in any depth. In this regard, they succeed very well.
on 6 November 2013
At best I had a sketchy knowledge of Access and needed to learn it properly and quickly for a skills test in five days time!

I've had these step by step guides before (Word and Excel) and found them very useful so I knew exactly where to go in a rush.

I like this product because the chapters are written in plain, easy to understand English but the really helpful thing is that you can practise on real documents instead of trying to make up your own. It's one thing understanding the written word, it's another thing doing it in the real world.

For me that's what these step by step guides do, explain and retain. I was so grateful I felt like writing a letter to the author but the skills test and interview got in the way and of course, I forgot. I hope Joan Lambert gets this message though and if she does, a very big thank you Joan.
on 15 May 2017
this book is helpful but its American version not Briitish and good value for money.
on 15 November 2017
Great Product!
on 8 February 2013
Exactly whaat says on the box, but for the basics only.

I bought this book after I realised that Excel has it's limits and Access is far superior in so many ways for storing and entering data in the work environment. I had used Access about 8 years ago and I needed a little reminder of how things worked.

Because of my background knowledge I did find a lot of it stuff I already knew but I found that I had to start from the beginning because I found that although I understood the concepts I often couldn't grasp the instructions because I did not understand the terminology. I do not think this is a pitfall of the book just a disadvantage when you learn things yourself by trial and error.

Do not expect any enjoyment from this book aside from the joy of what you learn. It is written in a no nonsense style but if you are willing to hack through it is worth it.

I would definitely recommend this for the complete beginner and very casual user of access. However I would look for something more advanced if you are already comfortable using relationships and creating basic form and need ideas about how you can connect your database to websites you have created and stand alone forms.
on 28 April 2014
I wanted something that covered the very basics up to quite complicated Databases, this fits the bill perfectly.
You have to download the exercises but you can also download it as a free e-book.
Ignore the websites suggested at the beginning of the book as they take you to the wrong website, you need the O'Reilly press one,
which is near the very back. Easy to follow examples that help you build your confidence.
Obviously, it isn't for professional Database writers but if you want to write something for home use ie: record or film collections with a user friendly front end then this is the book for you.
on 11 March 2013
Bought it for my wife so she could get up to speed on the latest version and she soon sorted out what she needed to learn from this book, so if the wife is happy, then so am I.
on 3 October 2016
Nice book and easy to follow. Access is harder than excel to learn but worth the trouble. It is best if you have a project in mind to practice on after you complete the training files. Personally I would advise learning Excel first as it is a nice stepping stone as the formulae are similar. Also you can build a simple relational model using pivot tables or Power Pivot. Excel is fast becoming a one stop shop for everything so you can easily implement a simple database. Pay close attention to Normalisation forms which are crucial in Access.but can be bodged through Excel.
on 25 July 2015
This is a very useful book. We are a community building and a charity but are constantly working to continuously improve the service we provide.
on 16 December 2011
A quality tutorial on Microsoft Access Database. Containing exellent practice files for you to download as well as being of immense valueMicrosoft Access 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft)) even when you do not use the practice files.