on 31 January 2011
Buying this book was my third attempt at getting into a .NET version of Visual Basic. The first book was oversimplified (and the promised web links didn't exist); the second deluged me with so much object orientation theory right from the start that I got lost and quit the field. This Microsoft book I found comprehensible right from the start. The author suggests different study plans depending on previous experience. Those (like myself) coming from VB6 can (he says) skim read nine of the chapters. I decided to read all the chapters as a beginner and do all the exercises, mainly to practice using the Integrated Development Environment. At no point did I get lost. The author tells you exactly what to do, and in any case the solution code for the exercises is backed up on the CD. Just as importantly, I never felt overwhelmed by theory. I think the author appreciates most people can only take in so much at a time. He introduces concepts like inheritance gently, without unnecessary complication.

Having finished the book I feel ready to start programming. I know from previous reading that there is a lot more to learn about object orientated VB (method overloading, constructors etc etc) but that can wait.

I only have the free (Express) version of Visual Studio 2010. There are one or two steps amongst the exercises that can't be done, or not easily, on the Express version. The author flags up when this is the case and it isn't a big problem. The main restriction is inheritance, which has to be done in a slightly roundabout way in Express (explained in the book).

One last point. Chapter 20 is on Visual Web Developer which is included with Visual Studio 2010, Express version included. Don't omit this chapter; this free webpage builder is worth a look.
44 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 May 2013
I found this book totally useless - I am in the process of updating a VB6 program that I wrote 12 yeasr ago to VBNET. Everytime I looked something up, it was was not even mentioned

I have now completed this update and found everything I needed via google although this was at times frusrating because there is so much misinformation on the web, but at least it was there. I had hoped that this book would avoid that hassle - it it didn't
on 5 August 2012
I had used an earlier version of Visual Basic but when we changed to a faster processor, the new diskette reader couldn't open the 3.5 inch diskette, and a new project loomed. The book arrived within the forecast delivery time and was a very inviting looking product which I soon delved into. Many of the features reflected exactly their older equivalent and others were new. VB has developed into a hugely supportive program, and offers thorough-going developer assistance. If there are any questions they are well handled in the Help pages; most other questions can be easily solved with a question through your browser.
Another successful 'Step by step' book from Microsoft press!
on 4 January 2012
For a noice programmer interested in visual basic this is the perfect book. It is very clearly written, well structured, and somehow even non-boring even though we are talking about programming techniques.
on 6 December 2011
Great book, I am currently studying programming at University.
I have found the book useful. Would reccomend any beginner
To programming to purchase this book.
on 8 January 2013
Easy simple, however this book mostly deals with the toolbox items. It does not do much on the code front.
Some of the cd examples do not run. They have to be tweeked. If you don,t know how to tweek. Tough.
on 28 November 2010
Very happy with my purchase, the book was exactly what I wanted, and an excellent price too! I had seen this a lot more expensive in the shops. My order arrived within 3 days.
on 14 March 2012
First, to give the man some credit: The early parts of the book are very clear. In particular I've read other books (on other languages and environments) that take much less care about checking the IDE customisations to match the examples. Also this review is about my needs, which may not be yours.

I should have realised there was a problem when the "Finding your best starting point section" mentioned "switching from another programming language" (and similar IDE in my case), but then provided a recommended path through for every reader profile except that one - it assumes you're a complete beginner or upgrading from previous VB versions. The book generally makes slow progress - it is bad at taking opportunities to build on previous topics when it is dealing with new ones.

And then I got to the database topics. 90% of the VB Apps I've seen at my clients have been database-centric. The Microsoft website says more or less the same thing about VB.NET. At that point, this book becomes nearly useless. It doesn't equip you to do more than write a very simple inquiry with a couple of ways of presenting. Hello? Is this written for professionals? You couldn't even catalogue your train-spotting records using this book.

In fairness, I've looked at the contents of similar books and they seem much the same. So I've ordered the Murach VB / ADO.Net 4.0 book - we'll see, and I'll post a review of that.
on 24 June 2014
i ordered this to brush up on my VB skills as I haven't used it for over 10 years. I found the book easy to follow and each chapter included a practical example.
on 28 January 2013
Not a good beginners book. Too completed in places. Not sufficient explanations in some areas. I would not recommend this book to a beginner.