on 13 December 2015
Being a software tester, I am always trying to improve by educating myself with the application back-end - doing so can only make me a more useful project team member. And so on to MSSQL Server 2008 (albeit rather late considering the current year :-/ ).

Who is the target audience here ?
Don't be fooled by the Step by Step title - this is not a book for beginners. Rather the author assumes that you are either a professional MSSQL DBA, or a competent IT technical professional with many years of broad experience. And frankly, this is a level that many will prefer - better to feel slightly out of your depth rather than spend the whole book getting no more than your toes wet.

What software do you need?
Of course you need a computer capable of running an edition of MSSQL Server 2008. But what edition? Surprisingly, about 70% of this book can be covered with nothing more than the Express Edition, which makes it suitable for a layperson such as myself. The topics covered in this book for which you will require a higher edition of SQL Server are:
* Partitioning
* Database Snapshots
* SQL Server Agent
* High Availability
* All Business Intelligence topics

One last word on the Business Intelligence chapters, it should be possible to cover at least Integration Services and Reporting with Express With Advanced Services Edition. The problem is that these chapters rely on a database that the author had created with Enterprise Edition features, and therefore it can't be restored in Express Edition.

If the author is reading this then let me say that this is a good book, but if you'd made it accessible to a broader audience then it would have been even better.
on 11 February 2009
I needed to get some pretty simple work done in SQL (at least I thought so) and having very little experience with SQL I was looking for a book that could go from nothing to where I needed to be.
Other books I had tried before this one either expected a level of knowledge I did not have or were not easy to navigate to just the portions I needed.
I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy to follow reference covering all aspects of SQL to some level and imagine even someone with experience of SQL could take something away from it.

The only thing preventing me giving this 5 stars is not having read (or found) and other comparable 'getting started' type books on SQL 2008.
on 23 January 2011
This is a great book. It provides sufficient instructions to allow you to build SQL server applications. I had almost no knowledge of SQL before I started reading it. I have only read half way through and I can already create SQL queries I thought I'd never be able to understand.
The instructions are very easy to follow. My colleagues who are experienced SQL server professionals find this book very useful as well.
on 14 July 2014
Great book, and for its age still very informative, the disk is chock full of stuff aswell
on 7 November 2011
This is a excellent book. It starts with the basics and leads the reader into learning the more complex parts of SQL Server. I would definately recommend this book for beginner to intermediate SQL Server users.
on 25 September 2011
Good product, really good for the basics and getting started with SQL. With little training this book has been great learning the data extract, upload and report server reporting.
on 17 July 2011
a very good book for biginers and people who want to know the basics
i was new to SQLserver and found the book easy to read and understand
would recommend it for bigginers and new users to sqlserver.
on 23 February 2011
Loads of errors in the examples across many chapters which cause problems in later chapters, better than the official exam text which as a learning tool for the skillset is a waste of time. Having read and learned how to program using O'Reilly's books for PERL and Pragmatic Programmers Ruby series, this book is rubbish.