Customer reviews

on 6 February 2013
Read that book twice 2008 and 2010. None of pages is wasted. Authors don't waste time on explaining c#. Their focus is .net compact 2.0, how it was improved and things which make mobile development simpler, last chapter is about 3.5 net compact. If you didn't read this book you were never true .net compact developer
on 2 January 2011
The book is really good, but I expected it to be more framework 3.5 centric.
It's a little bit outdated, we already have Visual Studio 2010 but the book is too much oriented to Visual Studio 2005, at least I expected VS2008, this way I'm not sure if already are better practices to do the same job.
on 12 January 2010
Good source for your programming. Not for beginners though. If you are from scratch look around for some light programming resources before this one.
on 13 March 2009
I bought this book to get a better understanding of Windows Mobile. The reason: as a software architect I have a lot of experience with RTOS'es, mainly for automotive infotainment producs; for a new project I may need to dive into Windows Mobile.

My expectation from the summary was that this book would tell me all about Windows Mobile that I needed to know from my architect perspective. The first chapters really did. It helped me to understand how Windows Mobile is positioned next to Windows CE, and about the variations possible. However, after that, the book dives into screenshots and development environment; classes etc. It felt like some 'learn to program Windows Mobile in x days'. You may be looking for this, I wasn't hence my 3 stars rating.
on 14 January 2009
This book is not for beginners. If you are looking for introduction to windows mobile, your best bet would be to head to MSDN website where there are loads of videos. For example there is no hello world equivalent. The first program is a deep dive.

I was looking for a Step by Step kind of book. Most of the content of the book is documentation which is available on Microsoft's website. However if you not have time to trawl through their website this book can serve as a good reference point. The book is pretty up to date with the latest development in windows mobile.

Pros:
Good book for windows mobile reference.

Cons:
Not suitable for beginners.
on 24 July 2007
I'd have liked to give this book 10 stars. I wrote a few version 1 Compact Framework applications but have had a 3 year break. I started an application targeted at Windows Mobile 5 and have been looking around for a more recent Compact Framework book for a while. This book has come along just in time and is by far the best Compact Framework book I've seen. It's not aimed at beginners and is not the usual rehash of the Help. It's aimed at professional developers and helps to solve many of the real world problems so often overlooked by .Net books. I will definitely be looking out for other books by these authors.

Can't recommend it highly enough.
on 29 June 2007
I been reading articles by Daniel Moth and Peter Foot over the past 3 years and I can assure that they know their mobile development. My team developed an application that shared code between the compact framework and the web using an article from Daniel Moth and tips and tricks from Peter Foot. Another author that people interested in the compact framework should consider is Paul Yao.
on 24 June 2007
I received this book on Friday 22nd June 2007, and I have read up to chapter 4 so far, I have found it so far to be very useful with lots of good ideas to improve my mobile development, hopefully this will assist me with the 70-540 Microsoft exam that I plan to sit. I have been developing using the compact framework for the past 3 years and I can see already that this book will improve my understanding. Thank you for producing this book and may there be more publications for this subject matter in the future.
on 18 June 2007
I am a big fan of all works of Daniel Moth

The title said it all, just ordered the book from amazon, can't wait to read the book.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse