on 1 February 2003
The full text of this book is available in the Visio SDK download. This book is a shallow overview of Visio's capabilities. It features trivial code snippets, rather than fully worked case studies and examples. Its a chatty reference, not a tutorial.
I want to build an add-in. The book says it can be done and gives a few pointers, but doesn't give an example to get you started.
I got Visio to open a dialog when a shape is double-clicked, it was easy. Unfortunately, I wanted the dialog to access a database and the ADO DataSource and DataGrid controls don't seem to work in VBA. (They do in VB.) The book says I can access databases, but doesn't detail any of VBA's limitations in this respect.
Its nice to have some pages to leaf through, but I was expecting more help for my money.
By the way, Visio Pro is a brilliant product : it gets five stars.