Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 November 2006
An ordinary every day Father Christmas who has an outside loo and says things like "bloomin' Christmas" , bloomin' reindeer", bloomin' cat". Beautifully drawn and the story of Father Christmas is sensitively handled and yet it is very very funny. Our favourite bit is at the end where he sits down and opens his own presents and discards the socks (who doesn't!) given to him by one relative but appreciates the bottle of cognac. "Ah, that's more like it. Good old Fred"!. A lovely down to earth simple story enjoyed by all ages. I used to read it to my children and now I am reading it to my grandchildren.
on 25 November 2001
My young daughters and I loved this book when they were small. The "comic book" format is such fun, and Father Christmas depicted as a very normal sort of guy on an unusual mission is such a treat. The book follows Father Christmas from his awakening on Christams eve morning and follows him through his normal routine of bathroom and pet care and dressing and preparing the reindeer. It goes all the way through his stopping at various homes and grumbling about the weather and sees him safely home and enjoying his own Christmas dinner and gifts. It has almost no words, but thia was a favorite bedtime read aloud book as we talked about what was going on in each picture. I found it droll and amusing as an adult, and my girls loved it.
on 15 July 2000
A traditional story, with breath-taking illustrations, it always managed to provoke a real Christmas spirit in me as a child. I still wonder if Father Christmas will get his presents to all the children in time. I can't wait 'till Christmas....!
on 4 December 2016
I bought this book as a Christmas treat for myself. I'd read it over 20 years ago, as a kid in Primary School. The book & the animated film compliment one another beautifully. Christmas is my favourite time of year, & I can't say that I'll ever grow out of it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 September 2012
My five-year-old daughter is requesting that I read this to her, and its sequel "Father CHristmas's Holiday", every night now.

It's a BD-style comic-strip book, like the "Asterix" books. Father Christmas is reinvented as a grumpy old man who lives somewhere up north, apparrently as a man in the north of England several decades ago. It's Christmas Eve, and the busiest night of the year for him. We see him wake up, have his breakfast, load up the sleigh, put on his outfit, fly all around the world delivering presents, avoid cats and television aerials and cookers and puzzle how to get into caravans, finally stopping off at Buckingham Palace after a quick chat with the milkman. Then, as the sun rises, he sleepily makes his way home, cooks his own Christmas dinner, relaxes in front of the television in his wooly socks, and goes to bed, worn out.

This has led to a conversation with my daughter about people who work the night shift.

The illustrations are beautiful and full of wit, and Father Christmas is very believable. It means my daughter now believes that this is the real Father Christmas, rather than the Americanised Coca-Cola version, but seeing him as a real person also means she has extra incentive to be good for him. Which is great for me!
on 25 March 2010
I was first given this book en 1977 (when I was 8), in the Portuguese version. Needless to say that I absolulety adored it, so much so, that everytime I misplaced it, I bought a new copy! It so happens that now I have all 3, since I found the original, and the 1st replacement (I know, it's nuts!). And not happy, about 3 or 4 years ago I bought the English original. Reading (and seeing) this book it's just one of those magical moments in the time of our lives that remain like that, magical forever! Every time I read it, or just pick it up, my mind travels back to those days, when magic over Christmas was a never ending feeling (even despite having lost my Dad in '76). A grumpy old man, like we'll all be when the time comes, I thought I should take the time to write a bit about how magical this small book was to me!
This is a wonderful christmas however old you are! It is my son's first christmas this year, and I have just bought this to read to him, as he loves having stories read to him. I have both the Snowman and Father Christmas in this format, and the gorgeous pictures taken directly from the film are beautiful, and the words are fantastic, and it is so easy to read. Any child will love having this lovely christmas tale read to them, and I am sure parents will adore reading it to their little ones, watching their faces when they hear about what Father Christmas gets up to on Christmas Eve!
on 8 November 2014
Probably the best Christmas book EVER for little ones. I read and re-read this with my little daughter, and am now giving it to my granddaughter, secure in the knowledge that her she (and her mother!) will LOVE it !! I can't recommend it too strongly.

And, yes, I put it above the Snowman. Because the Snowman's magic, but FC here is real, grumpy, hard-working, surrounded by 1950s furniture and fittings, and very human.
on 26 September 2014
I loved this book as a child & have now bought it for my 2 & a half year daughter, who loves it too! As it's a picture book it means I can either read it to my daughter or alternatively ask her to tell me the story - which she loves doing. The illustrations are wonderful & I look forward to reading this book unlike a lot of others.
on 11 February 2014
I bought this for my grandson because his Daddy had loved this book as a boy. It was gifted to him by his aunt and was night-time reading for all but 9 nights of the following year. I don't know if my grandson is loving it as much, but I so enjoyed the giving.