on 5 August 2007
A wonderful anthology which serves as a great introduction to the world of poetry.

I too received this poem as a present when I was about 6, and it has been a firm favourite ever since. I read my original copy so much that it fell apart by the time I was in my teens, and now my replacement copy is in tatters from being read each night to my little daughter, who adores it just as much as I did.

Though graded by age, from 6-7 year-olds, up to 14-year-olds, I started reading this to my little girl when she was just a baby, at first picking out just the cute, short, funny verse, then gradually introducing longer and more sophisticated poems.

This volume includes classic poems by Shakespeare, WH Auden, Robert Louis Stevenson, Lewis Carroll, Walter De La Mere, Tolkein, Robert Frost, A.A.Milne and many, many more. It does a great job of mixing the funny, serious, ridicuous and achingly beautiful.
This is a brilliant collection which gave my daughter a love for language and meaning many years ago which still endures, and which I hope will instil the same love in my grandchildren.I must have bought at least four replacement copies over the years.
on 21 August 2009
How wonderful to find this book still available. My original copy has survived, just, covered in transparent plastic film to preserve it; forward thinking by my mum no doubt. I also received it age 8 when it was first published and it has remained on my shelves since, often retrieved and dipped into.
Now I can buy it as a gift for the children I know and share my own copy with my children. Or perhaps I will have to buy them their own copy so I get to keep mine!
on 18 October 2009
I bought this poetry book for a 9 YO boy, it is full of poems for all ages and I love it myself. The poems are set out for various age groups in sectione but I think they are all enjoyable for all the age groups.
on 13 February 2011
I appreciate the fact that poems appeal aurally to children, especially with frequent repetition, but ( sadly ? ) modern children respond initially to a more visual stimulus. I think the book should be re-printed with illustrations, especially at the beginning, accompanying those poems chosen for the younger age group. My 4yr old grandaughter kept looking at the colourful front cover of the book, wanting the poems read to her that were associated with those excellent illustrations.
on 29 October 2011
When I was a girl, my bedroom was filled with books like this that could be opened for a giggle at the end of the day or to ward off boredom when stuck at home with a tummy ache. Hooray to the publishers for re-issuing this anthology of the type that inspired my own life long love of books.
on 16 January 2011
I bought this for my 6-year-old daughter for Christmas after she started to show an interest in poetry. What a good purchase! She instantly loves it and has even memorized one poem ('The End' by A.A. Milne, appropriately for a 6-year-old) which she takes great delight in reciting to anyone who'll listen. She has already turned down the corners of many pages to mark her favourites. I can see that she (and I) will continue to get so much out of this book for years and years to come. Her younger sister has also been inspired and has asked for a poetry book of her own for her 5th birthday; I just hope I can find another anthology to match this one!
on 28 October 2011
To my generation, Kaye Webb was a mythical creature. Her name appeared in all the books by all the authors we loved, even though we never knew what an Editor did. This collection lives up to the legend.
on 11 December 2012
My daughter had the first edition of this as a 5/6yr old. She absolutely loved it and it was the first of many poetry books we bought her and started off her love of poetry. I am now ordering it for her 6 yr old son who seems to be leaning in the same direction as his mother.
The poems are by various authors, some well known others not so well known. There is a great variety of poems to suit all tastes - amusing verse, scary verse and old favourites. I particularly liked to read why an individual child chose his/her poem, as each poem was at least one child's first choice.
Great that it is still in print & available.
on 24 June 2012
I recently bought a copy of this excellent book for a friend's grandchild, together with an extra copy. The child concerned loved the book, of course and likes to tell people about her new poems. :)

The extra copy has since become a fixture on our breakfast bar, where it is often dipped into whilst someone waits for the kettle to boil. Half-forgotten favourites are frequently rediscovered within its covers and enjoyed again, whilst new discoveries are always being made - and the young people's comments on each poem are usually quite insightful.

This really is a lovely anthology! :)