on 18 May 2017
excellent
on 18 February 2014
It has been difficult finding a JUST wheat and dairy free cook book. Many have no sugar, no this, no that. I am not a cooking person and until 5 months ago I could eat whatever I wanted and lived on convienence food. This book is easy to follow, a lot of the recipes are simple. I find in a lot of these books they want you to use some obscure ingredients which I'm sure could be substituted for simpler household items. I have already made the peanut butter cookies twice and they are very nice. I changed the recipe the second time to banana and blueberry and left out the peanut better. I am planning on making the cheesecake very soon. I bought this mostly for sweets because free from food is expensive.
on 18 September 2014
I was very surprised to find, with the title of this cookbook in mind, that many of the recipes contain wheat, gluten and dairy products.
on 29 June 2001
This is a such a good book for those of us who cant eat what but still want delicious food. I don't understand how the wheat and dairy free bread sauce recipe can taste so good!
on 22 March 2016
It is rubbish. I thought it would give you meal ideas with foods that were safe to eat but no it just replaces flour with gluten free etc so i could have just used a normal cookbook and used different flour!
on 22 August 2006
This book has been a god-send. I love cooking, but suffer from all the allergies listed in the book, and have been struggling to adjust to not eating all the lovely food I used to enjoy. There are lots of mouth-watering recipes which will ensure you continue to enjoy good food - beef en croute, blackberry and apple cake, brownies, chilli and herb cornbread, blueberry muffins, brandy snaps, passion cake, shortbread, steak and kidney pudding, sweet pepper tart and even wedding cake to name but a few.

Whilst it is heavy on desserts, that is where most problems come from if you suffer from these common allergies. It is true that it is very heavy on eggs, which I am also allergic too, but I have adapted the recipes very successfully after a quick search on the internet where you can find some alternatives to eggs - try replacing an egg with 1 tsp baking powder+1 tbsp water+1 tbsp vinegar for leavening - add more baking powder if you want better results. For binding, try 1/2 mashed banana (cut down on the sugar content of the recipe); 1 tbsp rice syrup (again cut down on the sugar content); or a 1/4 cup of apple puree (the pectin in the apple works as a binder) - all are the equivalent of one egg. You may have to adjust the liquid content of some of the recipes using trial and error, but it is worth the effort!

This book should not be used exclusively for all your recipes, but it has lots of excellent ideas, is very well presented, and will bring the pleasure back into your diet. You, your friends and family will enjoy tasty meals without feeling ill afterwards, and will be pleasantly surprised that food can actually taste better without all those nasties. Allergies can be fun!
33 Comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2007
I was looking for a cake recipe that might turn out a bit like the gf muffins sold at costa coffee - I stumbled across this book in my local bookshop, bought it at full price, came home and started to cook with it.

I have bought a copy for a friend who is dairy intolerant, and recommended it to my son who is a coeliac.

Every recipe that I have tried has worked and been delicious!

Try the Passioncake recipe - yummy!
on 9 December 2010
My daughter is dairy and wheat intolerant so desserts and cakes can be very difficult. I bought this book after finding the recipe for Banana and Lemon Iced Loaf on the internet and making it. One of the few non dairy, non gluten cakes I have made that tastes really good.
The book's layout is excellent. Recipe are mostly one to a page (some two pages) - description, ingredients and method. Easy to cook from and no distracting rambling chat as appears in some cookery books.
Also a recipe for 'mince pies'. Wonderful!
on 27 November 2005
A good functional cookbook, but not always the most useful recipes - e.g. to cook a cheesecake it advises to use sheep or goat milk... but many dairy intolerant people couldn't use those substitutes either. It also doesn't give any general advice about substitutions. Other books can advise that rice flour is good for custard and sweet tasting recipes, despite cornflour being the normal ingredient.
on 25 August 2006
I have a wheat and dairy intolerance, but I'm not much of a cook. Most of the recipes are way out of my league, more suited to dinner parties. Over half the book is deserts and baking, and while it all looks very appetising I wanted a cookbook to help with everyday eating with a food intolerance. I found Barabara Cousins Cooking without, much more useful. This book is definately not suitable for vegitarians or vegans, only a handful of the recipes are vegetarian. Quite dissappointed
11 Comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse