TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 January 2002
I'm puzzled by other reactions to this book.
I like it because if I come in from work and need something quick, easy and tasty, and don't necessarily have much in the fridge, I can always find something in here.
For me, the shopping lists aren't much use because I never use cookbooks in such an ordered way.
But the recipes that are here always turn out well and I've made many of them several times.
The thing I really like is that all the recipes are for one person which saves a lot of dividing, or making more than you need.
on 24 July 2017
There are some fantastic recipes in here. Only for me - I really need images to get inspired as I am a very visual person. Some people can 'see' images from words - but I need images to get creative. Maybe for a future publication? It is very well written and worth it for one person so don't let my review put you off if you are more of a verbal visualiser.
on 23 June 2017
This is simply one of the best cook books ever. Not just because the recipes are delicious but because it is divided into seasons and then weeks and each section has a shopping list at the beginning. It is brilliant and my boyfriend and I can't imagine life without it now. All vegans / soon to be vegans should get this book.
on 20 August 2017
Been buying this book for people for over twenty years. Recipes are all good to eat and quick to make.
VINE VOICEon 8 November 2004
Overall, a really good book with loads of recipe choices... One of the best bits is that all ingredients are geared towards a meal for one, as opposed to the usual 'meal for 4' provisions that most cook-books make!
I think the only mildy annoying thing is that, whilst care has been taken to maximise the use of ingredients over an entire week (even a weekly shopping list is included!), some mistakes are made (it's worth checking the weekly shopping list against what's actually required - there are differences from time to time!).
Overall, a good book... shame I don't like dishes with nuts, which rules out a fair proportion!!!
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2016
Rubbish. Don't waste time. These recipes can be found anywhere on the internet.
on 31 July 2008
I recently made the transition from a vegetarian of 20 years to a vegan. I purchased 4 vegan cook books but this is the only one I've bothered with - it's so good I've not really looked at the others as they're based on cooking for 4 in most recipes. I was initially disappointed by the lack of pictures but in fact I now find that a good thing - I try the meals regardless of what they look like. It's made the transition to vegan very easy and ensures I get a good variety of foods. Living on my own, when I was veggie I'd regularly end up eating the same meal for 3 nights in a row but now there's none of that. The shopping list is very helpful and I like the way it plans for the week - although I have repeated a recipe one week as I didn't like the ingredients in the one I should have been cooking.. overall, can't recommend it highly enough.
on 30 July 2008
I have just been reading through the reviews of this book. Some don't like the lack of pictures, but I think I agree with the reviewer that mentioned the plus side of this: you can't be disappointed with your un-photoshopped meal. Others commented about feeling patronised by the meal plans and shopping list; I find that feature the whole point of the book! I cook for myself as my boyfriend is not a fellow vegan. I found before that I wasted a lot of food, and that veg that I bought would spoil before I got chance to use it. We're not all master chefs, and this book really does teach a great deal on meal structuring and planning, in a very accessible way.

The meals are so quick and cheap to prepare that the book is great for todays busy people. Many veggies live on frozen rubbish and junk, and this book will show them to way to the nutritious diet they should have, and show them that these easy to follow meals can even be made quicker than heating up a quorn cottage pie! (with practice hehe)

Also, this book is fantastic for people living on a budget, especially students who live independently, as once all the staple ingredients listed at the start are stocked, a weekly shop can often be achieved for well under a tenner!

Wanting gourmet vegan banquets? Don't buy this book.

Wanting to learn to eat a nutritious vegen diet well but don't have much time to plan and prepare meals? BUY THIS BOOK NOW!

Poor students currently living on beer and golden grahams? What you waiting for?
on 9 September 2008
I love this book. As the only vegan in my household, its brilliant for me to cook meals on my own. Its helped me to discover new foods to eat, different combinations of food, and I feel healthier for it.

I don't care that there are no pictures in the book, why does there need to be? You can imagine with your mind if you know what all the ingredients look like.

The book is divided into winter and summer recipes, which is definitely a winner, as you can then see exactly which are the warming foods and which are the cooling foods. Yum.

The realy great thing is if you have someone to stay who is also vegan, you can just double the recipes up, which is so much easier than trying to reduce sizes from a family book for one person.
on 31 May 2009
This book is a great resource for anyone living alone, not just vegans. It works by telling you how to plan your weekly shopping list and how to use the food you buy accordingly, e.g. half a tin of beans one night, with the other half used for something else during the week. There's 10 different planned weeks in the book. The recipes are easy and can easily be doubled or quadrupled when you have guests. The only downside perhaps is the lack of photos, but then again, this could be good, since there's no chance of feeling disappointed when yours doesn't turnout like the picture. Afterall, good food is all about taste and texture really and not necessarily about the way it looks. I would definitely recommend it!