on 5 November 2017
This is a wonderfully helpful book for people with the innate trait of high sensitivity. The test in the beginning is already worth getting the book for as it is very reassuring to see our qualities reflected. I've read this book a few times - on each occasion getting something new from it. Now there is a DVD out by the author which can also add to our self awareness. A new book for sensitive people I found recently and would highly recommend for its wisdom is 'The Emerging Sensitive' by Maria Hill.
on 25 February 2017
Sad to say I found this book a hard slog. It probably has a lot of useful information (maybe too much) but i found I kept drifting off so have given up.
on 13 December 2017
bought as a xmas gift- unable to truly rate as yet.
on 28 November 2017
well read
on 31 July 2017
Perfect condition and a valuable asset.
on 14 August 2017
love it
on 7 November 2013
I have only just started to read the book but can really recognize myself. Curious whether it may be helpful to feel less stressed and exhausted .
on 4 August 2017
This book is superb, a real change your life kind of book. Have struggled to be in the world and this book explains SO SO much. Highly recommend this book to everyone both those who are finding the world too much yet are told 'you're too sensitive' if you feel the need to lock yourself in a bathroom or hide under the duvet after being around others in crowded busy situations, this book is for you.

If you find the world a struggle but can't find the words to describe how it feels to others who just don't 'get' you, this book is for both of you.

I especially like the case studies and how there are sections to show to health professionals who don't believer you when you have extreme reactions to even very low doses of medication and for teachers if you are still in education.

Elaine's book is SUPERB, I'm struggling with Dave Markowitz book so if you are on the fence between the two my money is on this one. bought it on Kindle and then in paper back coz there was so much in it I wanted to underline, highlight, put a paper tab so I could find again and write out sections in a positivity healing journal.

Please don't call someone 'needy, too much, oversensitive' etc, ASK them whats going on and how you can help, or even better buy this book and find out how YOU can be a kinder person to them.
on 14 December 2016
Generally a great book, it has opened my eyes to why I have always felt different and thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Most people with a sensitive nervous system could probably gain new insights into how their bodies work by reading this book. But as the author herself says, it labels you somewhat, which is unavoidable I suppose and necessary to make a point. But I really disagree with the suggestion to put on your "persona" when you are in very stimulating social situations, meaning acting more like the non-HSPs as to make you feel more like them and thus reduce over-arousal. But as far as I can see it, that doesn't tackle the problem and is a bit like lying to oneself. Don't get me wrong, I have been doing this all my life as a strategy to deal with social situations. But recently I have come to learn that this seriously affects how I view myself, in my opinion supporting the sense of having to be someone else in order to be accepted. Maybe it works for some people and they can keep this separate, but for me being true to myself and finally accepting how I am and what I need is the way to go.
As I said, all in all I really recommend it, but keep an open mind about what works for you and what doesn't.
on 19 July 2017
This book is amazing! It really helped me to understand why I am the way I am and to understand myself when I feel over whelmed. It is very reassuring to see this written down as sometimes I wondered if I was going mad however, now I know I am not and have even started to embrace my sensitivity. It definitely helped me to accept myself the way I am and I use it as a guide whenever things get a little too much. If you are a highly sensitive person, I would recommend it and also that you keep it near to hand to refer to intermittently as each page really connects with you.