on 4 August 2017
This book is superb, a real change your life kind of book. Have struggled to be in the world and this book explains SO SO much. Highly recommend this book to everyone both those who are finding the world too much yet are told 'you're too sensitive' if you feel the need to lock yourself in a bathroom or hide under the duvet after being around others in crowded busy situations, this book is for you.

If you find the world a struggle but can't find the words to describe how it feels to others who just don't 'get' you, this book is for both of you.

I especially like the case studies and how there are sections to show to health professionals who don't believer you when you have extreme reactions to even very low doses of medication and for teachers if you are still in education.

Elaine's book is SUPERB, I'm struggling with Dave Markowitz book so if you are on the fence between the two my money is on this one. bought it on Kindle and then in paper back coz there was so much in it I wanted to underline, highlight, put a paper tab so I could find again and write out sections in a positivity healing journal.

Please don't call someone 'needy, too much, oversensitive' etc, ASK them whats going on and how you can help, or even better buy this book and find out how YOU can be a kinder person to them.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 January 2018
This book has established to my own satisfaction that I too am a Highly Sensitive Person or HSP. That's all it has done. It promised to give practical guidance on improving one's life as an HSP so I read on with bated breath. Boy, was I disappointed. The book is far from being a Haynes Manual. Instead it is a rambling. repetitive meander through anecdotes (oops, sorry, "case histories") and childhood traumas. Boring, boring!

As an HSP I think I am able to discern what is going on here! The author is a highly qualified and well meaning individual who like many others of her kind is too close to the wood to see the trees. What I mean by that is, I believe she is too close to her subject to be able to get her point across clearly and succinctly. I have said this before about other help books: please cut out the anecdotes about Bob, Sue and whoever (call them case histories if you must, but do please cut them out) and cut to the chase. GIve us something we can keep referring to and use. We, the readers, need a short follow up book, no psychobabble, no diversions, just a no frills blueprint on how best to manage our lives! Anyone up for that? Haynes maybe?
on 19 July 2017
This book is amazing! It really helped me to understand why I am the way I am and to understand myself when I feel over whelmed. It is very reassuring to see this written down as sometimes I wondered if I was going mad however, now I know I am not and have even started to embrace my sensitivity. It definitely helped me to accept myself the way I am and I use it as a guide whenever things get a little too much. If you are a highly sensitive person, I would recommend it and also that you keep it near to hand to refer to intermittently as each page really connects with you.
on 1 January 2017
This is a great book; quite apart from the exercises that are offered just knowing that I am an HSP - and answering the questionnaires eradicated the doubts I had about that - just knowing is somehow comforting. Some of the confusing dualities of experience have been explained.

The book offers too insights that help to appropriately support my grandson.
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2015
This is the second significant book I have read about HSPs/introversion (though this author doesn't like the latter term). I didn't get as much out of this as I did out of Susan Cain's excellent Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking. There was rather too much about the raising of children, brain chemistry and other subjects for me. Also, I didn't care for the author's insistence that HSPs are almost a separate species of humanity. She sees HSPs as about 20% of the population, as opposed to Cain's introverts making up between one third and one half, so the subject audience of the book is not identical, though any of the same issues arise. While I self-identify as both an HSP and an introvert, I didn't get a great deal out of this book.
on 19 May 2015
great book . arrived in great condition, looks sure to help. This book has such good info in great detail about being sensitive . I struggle with any form of stress due to being sensitive so it is reasurring to know im normal heeeee :) im just extra sensitive so its great to finally find a book whome knows all to well about this subject, Life has changed but our minds and nerves sometimes find it hard to adapt to how this stressful world has become , This book teaches you why we are highly sensitive , ways to help yourslef, not to feel a burden on others and except yourslef for being sensitive as lets face it, being sensitive has its positives too better than being a cold human made of steel where nothing bothers you ummm you wouldnt be human !!! I like the way this book highlights all the good points about being highly sensitive..rather than being so hard on yourslef, give yourslef credit for being you. as you are perfect the way you are even if you cry rivers over little things , : ) .. be sensitive and be proud This teaches us we arent perfect and we all expect everyone to just cope , cope in this rat race of a life come on our nerves are bound to be sensitive :)
on 5 November 2017
This is a wonderfully helpful book for people with the innate trait of high sensitivity. The test in the beginning is already worth getting the book for as it is very reassuring to see our qualities reflected. I've read this book a few times - on each occasion getting something new from it. Now there is a DVD out by the author which can also add to our self awareness. A new book for sensitive people I found recently and would highly recommend for its wisdom is 'The Emerging Sensitive' by Maria Hill.
on 29 September 2015
According to the checklist I'm an HSP (I think I scored about 19 out of 21 or something!) so I related to a lot of it and it did make me more interested in understanding how being an HSP affects the way I experience the world. I found the bit on work especially relevant, as I've had more trouble there than in my personal life. It was enlightening to understand that a lot of my reactions to things that I label as anxiety responses aren't necessarily anxiety reactions, but me being overwhelmed in other ways, such as loud noise, bright lights or spending too much time socialising . I did enjoy this book, in the main, but I did get a bit bored in places as it seemed a bit repetitive and sometimes went off the point.
on 8 August 2016
Although a I was able to answer affirmatively for a lot of the questions to determine if I was a 'HSP'. I'm not entirely certain that the book was geared to where I am on the spectrum. I certainly am very perceptive to subtle mood shifts in people, which at times I think I sometimes misinterpret. I was hoping to read more about the social aspects of this trait when interacting with people but it was a lot more about limiting your exposure to the environment. I'm sure to many people this would be a very useful book, and everything is backed up well with research and explained in an easy to read way.
on 19 October 2016
Do you jump at any sudden noise, no matter how familiar? Battle with anxiety that has no discernible cause? Cry easily? Are you susceptible to phobias? You might be physiologically sensitive and not neurotic. This may be both a revelation and a relief as it was to me when I read this well-researched, intelligently written account of a personality type I'd never before heard explained.