on 20 January 2003
This is a truly excellent book. It firstly tells you how to conduct your body language and then what conversational skills to use to get people to 'open up' to you and realise what an interesting person you really are! It doesn't aim on just one type of reader, anyone of any status can read and benefit from this book especially if you have those awful moments where you're introduced to someone and you have no idea what to say to them! It is written in a humourous and memorable way and whereas I used to dread social gatherings, now I can't wait till my next one so I can use my new found conversational skills!
on 23 August 2016
This is a superb book, short, readable and very practical. The book is split into several sections and each has a description and a ‘How to’.

Some of the strategies you will be already doing, but there is enough in this book for everyone to find it useful.

One example:-

Lowndes suggests you don’t ask a new acquaintance "What you do?" as this could potentially have a negative impact on your relationship by

• Making the other person feel embarrased or awkward if the answer is something they feel uncomtable about admintting, for example, “I'm not working",
• Making you both aware of a differences in workplace status, for example “I’m an MD”

Instead she suggests you enquire "How do you spend most of your time?".

The benefits of this approach are

• The other person has much more choice in what they say
• You come over as interested in them and not their status as defined by their job.

The focus is on how to communicate with others so that you come across as a 'Big Cat' i.e. someone who comes over very well (professionally and positively) whilst ensuring the other person feels great about themselves.

Highly recommended.
on 21 February 2017
Very good read
on 23 April 2017
good book, however very easy to put the book down..
on 5 September 2014
It's not a bad book by any means, but I felt as though a lot of the tips were quite basic - having good posture, maintaining eye contact, and smiling, for example. It could just be that I was already an excellent communicator and so I already knew most of the tricks listed in the book. It could be a good book for someone who really struggles with communication, but I found many of the tips quite basic and no-brainers.
Also, it's very business orientated - nothing wrong with that at all, just bear it in mind.
I would recommend this book, but just be prepared to read it thinking 'Oh, I already knew that', or 'Duh'.
on 8 November 2015
Useful tips on breaking the ice, making polite conversation or opening up the "Yes"and "No" types to hold an interesting conversation in the lift or at a conference
on 23 March 2010
I am always a little cynical about these kind of books - this however, is written in a fresh and interesting style that is easy to follow. There have been comments that it is a little patronising in it's tone but I didn't find this. I am intrigued by the whole idea of body language but I think this book takes it one stage further and I have found it very useful indeed. I had a very important interview recently and used a couple of techniques - I felt they helped me to relax and feel a little more in control. One thing to remember though, don't try to use too many at once when you are trying to grasp them!
on 11 August 2014
Good god! What an insincere, fake, egocentric manipulative way to live your life.
I cannot believe I have given this author my money, there is being confident and being able to talk to people, and then there is actually being genuinely liked by people.
I wonder if the author actually has any real friends….
“There are real smiles and fake smiles. (You’ve seen plenty of those plastered on the faces of friends who say they’re ‘delighted you decided to drop by…” nope that’s not normal love!

On a plus note it did make me laugh out loud a few times, and I only got to chapter two
on 12 September 2017