on 16 March 2006
This book is a great starting point if you are converting to veganism, or just catering for a vegan. The recipes are simple, tasty and hugely popular with everyone we have cooked for (vegan or not!). The sponge cakes are particularly delicious - moister and lighter than the egg/milk equivalent. Most of the recipes are also easily adaptable so once you have some favourite basics e.g. kidney bean burgers, chick pea stroganoff, lentil curry, you can experiment adding different pulses, herbs, spices etc and they work just as well. We use this book every week and love it!
22 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2017
Great book, mostly using what I would call 'Normal' ingredient, so don't have to spend out a lot to complete a recipe. Thought the chestnut and mushroom pie really great, used ready cooked and peeled whole chestnuts from one of the big supermarkets so it was quicker to make. Tried it with mash potato on the top to turn it into a sort of cottage pie.
on 9 April 2017
thanks gteat recipes
on 7 October 2013
Great recipes, easy and very gook. It helped me a lot since I decided to turn vegan, as there are not so many and good books about it. I recommend it to all vegan!
on 9 October 2017
great
on 3 September 2007
Does exactly what it says in the title with fairly simple yet innovative ideas. It's divided neatly into sections(ie legumes, nuts etc) making it easy to browse, and has some nutrition advice in the foreward. My only gripe is that I find myself adapting a lot of the recipes to taste, as they can be fairly bland and require a little more seasoning for a spice-fiend like me! Most of the recipes are very healthy, but I'm of the strong belief that wholemeal flour can ruin the taste and texture of sauces and cakes, I just switch it to white and they turn out lovely!
on 1 October 2001
As I have recently been introduced to Veganism, I treated myself to this book after reading the reviews about it. I must say, I was impressed. The menus are basic, easy to follow, and there are plenty of them.
on 21 October 2000
the recipes are easy to follow and delicious. The orange cake and especially the chocolate cake is well worth the mention A good section on making vegan creams from coconut to cashew cream. well worth buying., constantly used in my kitchen.
on 14 January 2007
I became a vegan in September and have purchased many cookbooks since then. Used none of the recipes as the tended to combine protein and carbs. Until LEAH'S book. I receivedthe book last week and have used something from the book every night. Simple good food and TASTY too. Re the ingrediants, I found that I could substitute and it still tasted good. The really ace result for me is that instead of making 2 meals, one for me and one for family, I can now cook from this and just add eggs/cheese/meat for family. I also find these recipes are an inspiration for me to adapt to my tastes if there are ingredients I don't like.
on 27 September 2009
I wanted a nice recipe to cook for non-vegan friends who were over for dinner and the first recipe I tried out of this book received rave reviews. Apparently my friend's husband has been telling everyone all week that it was the best vegetarian meal he has ever had! I've only been vegan for a few weeks so still experimenting with cooking but this book seems to have loads of interesting recipes. I can't wait to try more. I've had a quick flick through most of them and haven't particularly noticed ingredients that I will have a problem obtaining ingredients for. Highly recommended.